Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

hooking up a relay??

Status
Not open for further replies.

mossy

can anybody tell me which pins on this relay do i connect a seperate voltage onto to turn on a bulb??
and what voltage would i need in the ciruit to light your standard 60W bulb??

Attachments

• realy.JPG
    realy.JPG
    6.6 KB · Views: 197
Last edited:
You could connect the supply to pins 4 and 13, and connect the lamp to 8 and 9.
The lamp will illuminate when the relay is energised.

By "your standard 60w bulb" I assume that you mean the sort of thing used to light up the room in a house.
In which case you will need 240 volts.

A few cautions!

Are the relay contects rated for 240v AC, is the circuit board(?) rated for 240v AC.
Can the relay contacts handle the current ? (about 1 amp surge at switch on)?

JimB

will it actually need the full 240volts to light the 60w lamp?? my relay is only rated ro 125volts.what current will the bulb need to turn on?? not so sure what kinda circuit board to use, would veroboard do the job??

Last edited:
mossy said:
will it actually need the full 240volts to light the 60w lamp??
If you want the lamp to light to full brightness, yes it will.

my relay is only rated ro 125volts.
Then it is anadequate for the job. You need a better relay.

what current will the bulb need to turn on??
A 60 watt lamp will take 0.25amp from a 240volt supply. But at switch-on there will be a surge which could be as much as 1 amp.

not so sure what kinda circuit board to use, would veroboard do the job??
I dont know the voltage rating of Veroboard, but I would be very reluctant to put mains voltage on to it.
Better to use mains wire direct to the relay.

JimB

JimB said:
A 60 watt lamp will take 0.25amp from a 240volt supply. But at switch-on there will be a surge which could be as much as 1 amp.

I would expect the surge to be considerably higher than 1A, the cold resistance of a filament lamp is quite low. Obviously, it does depend on the exact instant it's turned ON, and where in the mains cycle it happens to occur.

I dont know the voltage rating of Veroboard, but I would be very reluctant to put mains voltage on to it.
Better to use mains wire direct to the relay.

Always safer to wire, but veroboard is no less safe than a PCB - as long as you use it sensibly!. Just as with a PCB use wide spacing for mains voltages, with veroboard this means removing adjacent tracks - which is simple to do by tinning and heating the track excessively.

So if i get a relay to switch 240 volts @ 2amps will i need any other components between the lamp and the mains??

mossy said:
So if i get a relay to switch 240 volts @ 2amps will i need any other components between the lamp and the mains??

Just the lamp holder, the wire and the mains plug.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back