Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Hooking Stero speakers to a TV....

Status
Not open for further replies.

EOJ

So I tried hooking old stereo speakers to our new tv, and I get no sound. I hardwired them to the audio outputs on the back of the tv. While the tv is on I get sound out of the built in speakers but none out of the stereo speakers.

I'm guessing that the TV doesn't have enough power to drive the bigger speakers. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm trying to learn as much as possible. Thanks.

The TV audio outputs are probably line-level signals intended to drive a stereo amplifier; hence they can't drive speakers directly.

Yep alec_t hit it on the head. What kind of connectors did you hard wire to?

I cut off one end of a set of A/V cables. One ends goes into the TV and the other ends are spliced to the speaker wires. So would a simple audio amp using a LM386 drive the speakers. or do I need something else? Thanks again for the help fellas, much appreciated.

I cut off one end of a set of A/V cables. One ends goes into the TV and the other ends are spliced to the speaker wires. So would a simple audio amp using a LM386 drive the speakers. or do I need something else? Thanks again for the help fellas, much appreciated.

An LM386 is poorer than the sets own amplifiers, you want more power than that.

There are thousands of small music systems binned everyday, usually for CD failure, grab one of those and use it.

Did you hook up to "RCA" connectors on your TV?
You will most likly need an amp. Can you find an old surround sound system ?

Nigel, 4 Pryos, I have a broken cd stereo, are you saying I should use the amp in that to drive the speakers?

The TV is on one side of the wall and the old surround sound speakers are on the wall across from the TV. The old surround sound stereo is long gone so it's just the speakers. I'm kind of inclined to learn the theory and build an amp so I can learn however I'm not sure if I'm going to be getting in deeper than I want too. In about 6 months I'll leave the military and start pursuing an EE degree, so I feel i should start learning what I can now to help later on down the road. Again thanks for the help, you guys make this site a huge benefit for those like me. Thanks.

Nigel what

I have a broken cd stereo, are you saying I should use the amp in that to drive the speakers?
Only if it was ment to drive speakers. Some players are ment to hook up to an amp. Does it have speaker connetors on the back?

Yeah it is, I believe the SN or model NUmber to the amp board is UX-G5. Its a JVC. So can I gut it for the amp? Will I ahve to remove the amp board from the stero? Let me know what I need to do I"m all ears... thanks man.

Yeah it is, I believe the SN or model NUmber to the amp board is UX-G5. Its a JVC. So can I gut it for the amp? Will I ahve to remove the amp board from the stero? Let me know what I need to do I"m all ears... thanks man.
Do you know how its wired?

I would agree with comments made...just feed off the line out put from rca audio o/p to a small amp or a standard hifi amp...there's a different way that it can be tapped also...via using a headphone just that will disconnect the tv own speakers that way you can link a small pair up..careful not to put more than 10w per side as using higher rated ones can stain the in built tv amplifier..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back