Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Homeowners insurance...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrz126

So I just bought my first house (I had made a thread on here awhile back). Closing was October 31st. Now a week or so before closing, I got my homeowners insurance set up. I went with progressive since thats who i have my car insurance through. A few days after the closing, I get a call from this guy from the insurance company, says he needs to take pictures of the outside of the house and woodstove. So he came and took the pictures.

Last thursday I get a letter in the mail saying that they are canceling my policy because "Our property inspection revealed the roof on the dwelling is old, worn and deteriorated with missing shingles and mildew growth". I know the roof is in somewhat bad shape, and I'm going to repair it first chance I get. I spent a few days up there putting roof cement in the problem areas so it would make it through the winter.

The part that really pisses me off is that I'm only getting ~$450 back of the original $609 that I paid because they were providing me coverage for the last month. They knew the roof was bad a week after they approved my coverage, then waited a month so they could get me for $150 bucks. What a scam. Now I have to find some other coverage before the bank finds it for me.

Oh the joys of home ownership...

Pretty strange that they would write you a policy without looking before hand. You might call and argue with them over the $150, since your car insurance business might give them some incentive to make you happy. Unfortunately, it would cost more than $150 to compel them to give a full refund (which they should, even if the 'fine print' says they can do what ever they want). Personally, I'd change my car insurance, just for getting rear-ended like that. Progressive isn't the best deal anyway, been meaning to change companies for a while, but already know what to expect from them, and only carry the minimal allowed by law...

I could understand a cancellation like that down here in Florida, but that roof would have to be pretty bad in Pennsylvania. Might also use the Better Business Bureau, file a complaint, they have to respond to it, make some attempt to correct the problem...

Why not claim the roof damage occurred during the month you were insured? Then they owe you!

Definitely switch companies (auto, too), but be sure to call and tell them why. What's next? They don't cover you in a car accident because your wiper fluid was too low?

Hey, I'm back, be-otches!

Last edited:
Why not claim the roof damage occurred during the month you were insured? Then they owe you!

Hey, I'm back, be-otches!

I imagine the property inspection report would reveal that to be untrue.

property inspection revealed the roof on the dwelling is old

Take care, as you may violate your loan contract by not holding insurance. My home loan forced me into a predetermined insurance, I just pay it as part of my mortgage. The premium is actually not too high so I don't mind so much.

I imagine the property inspection report would reveal that to be untrue.

Take care, as you may violate your loan contract by not holding insurance. My home loan forced me into a predetermined insurance, I just pay it as part of my mortgage. The premium is actually not too high so I don't mind so much.

Should take a close look at what is actually covered. Bank insurance is the worst, it's more to protect them.

Anyway, I know $150 isn't a huge sum, they know that most people will just let it go, a little pissed off, but not much can be done. But you can really trust a company which pulls such sleazy tricks. How sure are you that they will pay out as expected, or make you a phone slave for months, before they finally pay a lesser sum? I hate paying for things I never use, insurance is the worst. If you are safe/lucky and responsible, you get absolutely nothing for your money. A little scratch and dent, a traffic ticket... higher premium.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back