Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

home net work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an idea to set up a home net work.
This is the steps I am going to take.

I have braod band connection connected to my ethernet port.
I will connect another ethernet port to my PC. Then I am going to connecte 4-port ethernet hub to it and connect few pCs to the Hub. In this way Can I set up a small network. At the same time all PC shoud have access to internet through my main PC.

Is this works. Is there any configarations.

Your idea will be highly appreciated.

many thanks in advance.

As you're having to buy a hub? (even though they are cheap), why not spend a little bit more and buy an ADSL modem/wireless/router. Personally I like the Belkin ones, the ones I use have four ethernet ports on them, and allow 250 odd wireless network connections.

This has a number of advantages, firstly the router itself connects to the ADSL line, even without a computer there - so you don't need to install any kind of software on the PC's (except for wireless card software, if you're going that way). Another HUGE advantage, is that the router includes a hardware firewall, this protects ALL the computers connected to it - the outside world can't even see your computers!.

yes you are right, I should buy a router with a 4 port hub. (which is having facility to connect my broad band ). unfortunately I could not find such one here. shop owner told me th\that thay had one like that but not available now. that is why i am trying to use next alternative.

If I bought a 4-port hub(available in the market), can i connect broad band modem to one of its port(with ethernet cable). Will this work in this way.

It wodnt since you have to log on the internet.

Routers do this by them selfs.So you have to conect to the router and set the internet setings for the internet to work.

Then you just plug in a PC an tell it that its in a LAN and you have internet.

Wierles can somtimes cause problems.

How about in this way,

I will connect another lan card to my PC, then I have two ethernet port.
I can use one port to connect broadband and then my pc work as a gate way (oe server). next ethernet port can be connect to a hub which provide connection facilities to another 2 or more pcs.

Please let me know your comments.

mahinda jayasinghe said:
How about in this way,

I can use one port to connect broadband and then my pc work as a gate way (oe server). next ethernet port can be connect to a hub which provide connection facilities to another 2 or more pcs.

Why not get a router?, it's ludicrous for you to be told they aren't available, they are more available than ever! - and rapidly growing in popularity.

Its much beter to use an router.

First of all roters consume much less energy than a PC.And theat PC cod be used to do somting else.They are also smaller and have much shorter boot times.

can't you order the router online or are you too far away for delivery?

if so you can get the company to deliver the item to a nearby wearhouse or a friend..

Although your idea will work, it is against every rule i have in my head for doing things correctly.

Personaly i would definatly get a ... i cant think of the name but belkin are good. dont go with d-link or net gear there rubbish

mahinda jayasinghe said:
How about in this way,

this WILL work and i was using it a while ago with AnalogX proxy server running on PC connected to broadband.
Now I use router since they are so cheap and i don't have to have one PC running all the time. I can only recommend it. But if you are looking for (free) alternative, check this out:

AnalogX proxy is 100% free, simple to configure, VERY lightweight so it doesn't slow down host computer and it was available before MS offered sharing of the internet connection.

https://www.analogx.com/contents/download/network/proxy.htm

One more question.
One pc (win xp on it) setup as server. Irt has two ethernet port.
I can read the ip address when I do comman "ipconfig".

Other pc (win ME on it), all read as zeros when I do "IpCONFIG".

This PC is ok when I connect to broadband modem directly.
If I connect it to server pc , "IPCONFIG" reads nothing.
What cable need to be used, cross or straight. I used straight.
Whay I cannot set IP settings on it when I connect this PC to my other PC which is having broad band connection.

any idea

I have set proxy settings on both PCs.

mahinda jayasinghe said:
One more question.

This PC is ok when I connect to broadband modem directly.
If I connect it to server pc , "IPCONFIG" reads nothing.
What cable need to be used, cross or straight. I used straight.
Whay I cannot set IP settings on it when I connect this PC to my other PC which is having broad band connection.

any idea

I have set proxy settings on both PCs.

To connect two PC's together (without a hub or router) you need a crossover cable.

mahinda jayasinghe said:
One more question.

You need to assign fixed IP addresses to one of the server's ethernet interface and the other PC, and they should be private, non-internet routable IP addresses, like the 10.x.x.x or 192.168.x.x series. You also need a crossover cable like Nigel suggested if you're not using a hub between the two computers.

Concrete example :

ethernet card #1 on server = DHCP (connected to the internet)
ethernet card #2 on server = 192.168.1.101 (connected to second PC via crossover)

ethernet card on second PC = 192.168.1.102 (connected to server via crossover)

You will have some configuration to do to allow basic internet services through a proxy.

All of this would be avoided using an inexpensive router...

Also you wod save on the electricety bill using a router.Since PCs use quite a lot of energy.They have 400W PSUs!.While an router uses very litle power.Its powerd by an small wall wart.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back