Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Home made Magnetometer

Status
Not open for further replies.

tcmtech

Banned
Most Helpful Member
Many years ago I subscribed to Popular Electronics Magazine.
since then I have moved twice and lost most of my old issues.
Anyway, one issue dealt with making a home made magnetometer to sense the change in the local earths magnetic fields as it bent around metalic objects as they moved. It used a pair of neon transformer secondary coils on a soft iron bar for the reciever.
It then took the microscopic induced voltage generated in that coil assy and amplified it to a level that could be heard with a regular set of headphones.
there was a very high gain ultra sensitive op amp used in the first stage.

Does anyone have that circuit? or know of how that circuit can be built?

I thought it would be a neat toy to let the local elementary kids play with and get a better understanding of how the earths magnetic field moves around in their Earth Science class. Or just for me to play with too!

I do have a couple of those circuits, they use instrumentation amplifiers on the front end, but do not have a scanner to post it here. Give me a few days perhaps I can ask someone to scan.

It supposedly can detect an automobile passing a block away; and it is not more than a zillion turns of hair-fine enameled wire on an iron bar. The instrumentation amplifier is fed by the coil ends and the output is a millivoltmeter with its pointer centered at midscale as zero.

Miguel

Super! I figured there would be someone here that would know what I was looking for. I am patient. post it when you have time. thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back