Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Holden Key Head Repair

Status
Not open for further replies.

tytower

Banned
These can be expensive to replace. $100 to buy and have recoded to work on your car.
So I'll just relate my experience .

The key stops working , doesn't open the doors or switch the immobiliser off so the car won't start. It became intermittent , as I put the key in the steering lock it sometimes worked .

By unscrewing the key from the head plastic piece using that key and a pocket knife I was able to separate the key down the seam. Once apart the small gasket rubber doesn't look like I can use it again but it might slot back in . The rubber covers over the buttons were history after 3 years so leaks are a problem anyway.

I pulled the circuit board out easily and cleaned it with Inox spray and a tooth brush all round then blew it all out with compressed air, including the buttons . Once it was dried off I tried it and still it did not work. The battery is a 3V lithium CR 3032 soldered in and was showing 2.7V. I checked all the switches again and I think one of them was stuck on, wasting the battery away. I recharged the lithium gently to bring it back to 3.4V and tried it quickly .

It worked again so perhaps the circuitry needs more than 2.7V but I suspect the switch. So I can put it together again and wrap a rubber band around to hold it together for the time being . It works as it should and its been suggested that the lithium is fed some charge through the connections it makes with the steering column. That's possible I suppose but I wonder what any of you that are experienced think ?

The battery is replaceable anyway for about $5 so I'll change that then glue the head with super-glue. While on that, I got some super-glue from Tower Hobbies in the States and its brilliant Slow, medium, fast-- 2 minutes, 30secs, instant-- bond times respectively. I keep one I bought 12 months ago in the beer fridge but the top is always gluing itself together and a careless mistake will loose the lot. I'm going to try to clean and oil the cap after each use , that might stop it sticking . I think its $14 for a kit of 1 of each plus freight.

Last edited:
Inox is a lubricant, you should never clean electronics with something like that, pure denatured alcohol, or spray contact cleaner that evaporates completely are good choices, you should re-clean it, and don't use medicine cabinet alcohol it contains mostly water. You shouldn't try to recharge those types of Lithium cells they don't tolerate it, but if it was just to test that's fine, definitely replace the battery though. I wouldn't recommend super glue either it doesn't tolerate vibration well so in a rough and tousle key tossing world you should probably use something like a high temp melt glue gun, or an epoxy designed to remain flexible, loctite might work but it's not recommended for plastics. If you do use super glue anyways use the slow stuff, the fast cure time is what makes superglue so brittle, something to do with the way the accelerant works.

Last edited:
Yuk. My only experiences are with non-powered RFID keys that could be programmed with the car itself with Wacky instructions.

I'm also familiar with the CR batteries. I get them really cheap like <$0.50 USD. I'm familiar with the welded carrier battery that's soldered in place which is used in a totally sealed wrist or pendant alarm transmitter. I used the guts of a broken one, added a battery holder and placed it in a doorbel housing.

Lithium cells have a flat discharge curve.

Inox is a de-watering lubricant. I use it for this all the time as it firstly removes water stuck between components . Once blown out a waterproof film is left which does not appear to conduct electricity . If I really want to protect any electrical circuit short of re-varnishing it , I use Lanolin spray , blown off .Lasts a treat and does not cost $23 a can. Alcohol dries and leaves nothing but whatever gunk was already there . Thanks for your thoughts though.

I use the slow super-glue very sparingly and another useful tip , use the stick pins with coloured plastic bead tops,remove pin and cut coloured bead in half .a spot of glue and stick it to the button . You can now get at it.

Looks like the lithium should be over3V

Attachments

• lithiumDischarge.png
    lithiumDischarge.png
    26.7 KB · Views: 248
Last edited:
I found that I could get buttons with longer press pins which made it easy to press the buttons for people with arthritis or whatever. Picked them up in Jaycar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back