Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Hold High

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quercus

Hello,

I need hold a logic state high, once achieved, until I intentionally change it, even if the initiating high reverts to low.

I'm using a CD4060 timer to put a circuit into low-power standby state. An idle circuit allows the timer to advance, and after about 20 minutes the Q14 pin goes high opening the power relay and de-energizing the power circuit (the standby/timer circuit retains power, of course). However, the timer will continue to advance indefinitely, and after another 20 minutes, Q14 will return to low and the power circuit will re-energize. I need to maintain the logic high initiated by Q14 until I intentionally change it.

At the moment, I'm considering a latching relay. Other thoughts/better ideas?

Thanks,
-Quercus

How about a "latch"?

Similar thing with a different Ic, a 4013 D type flip flop, ground the clock, and D inputs and use the set and reset inputs.

in designing the digital control there are multiple . . . ?features to constantly keep track on -- some of which are
  • blah ... (ok i got the bullets here)
  • superimposed/simultaneous (control-)events that conflict in defining system advance/state
    -- both control signals may be needed but in special ?conditional arrangement e.g. some sort of priorised.fnOf(?) setup
  • the polarity of the "master" ()general/global control signals . . . versus latching edges(leading trailing)
    -- say , there might be many state-changes tied to a ?"Master Sync." pulse´s leading edge ++and they are time critical e.g. *if the complementary pulse - (required) for/by some of the modules - is formed locally (inverter) then that module gets off sync. due timing difference of the complemented clock *if ends
    -- say the 2-nd , if** you start changing (playing around with) the polarity/edges of control signals - then each such change may require a re-make/-design of the entire!!! existing circuitry . . . if** ends
  • blah . . .
shortly instead of setting ever higher resolution to a Control Clock (as a last measure) the tedious alternative is to witch out the control "pulse" from existing transitions of the logic lines . . . either by basic logic gates , flops , delay circuits , transmission/-pass gate , e.c. - e.g. there are likely too many solutions to your problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back