Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Hitachi Oscilloscope (V-223 20MHz) - Help Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

gatoruss

Hi -

I purchased a used Hitachi Oscilloscope (V-223 20MHz).

I do not know how to use a scope and am hoping to learn on this unit. Unfortunately, I cannot locate a manual online.

Here are photos of my unit:

**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

I was looking at a tutorial for another unit (**broken link removed** and **broken link removed**), and am trying to calibrate my unit. In the lower left front panel there is a "calibrate" pin. If I attach the positive lead from my probe to it (per the tutorial), I get a square wave. The amplitude (voltage) seems close to 0.5v...I cannot get the x axis to "freeze." The waveform moves either left-to-right or right-to-left.

Is this supposed to be the case? Can someone point me in the right direction?

Last edited:
I cannot seem to find any links to a manual for this unit, but I did find this **broken link removed**...it is for a V-225.

Do you think that these 2 units (the V-223 and the V-225) will be similar enough for the latter's manual to be helpful?

gatoruss said:
Do you think that these 2 units (the V-223 and the V-225) will be similar enough for the latter's manual to be helpful?
Probably. The nomenclature and general basic operation of oscilloscopes is fairly standard, so once you learn how to operate one, it's very easy to work an unfamiliar one. Even if you don't know what all the specialized features and functions are, the basics--sweep timebase, volts/div, trigger settings and coupling modes--remain pretty much the same.

To get a trace, do the following:

1. Set the Mode for Ch 1.
2. Set the Volts/Div for maximum.
3. Turn the unit on and adjust the Position knob to the right of the CH 1 Volts/Div control until you have the trace centered vertically. If you cannot see a trace, rotate the Intensity knob clockwise to maximum and try again. (some 'scopes have a trace locator button which makes this easier.)
4. Set the Time/Div knob to the middle of the range.
5. Set the coupling mode switch (the lever switch to the right of the input BNC jack) to DC (as in your photo) and then connect a probe. If the probe has a 1x/10x switch, set it to 1x.
5. Set the trigger MODE switch to Auto (it's already set in your photo).
6. Touch the tip of the probe to the Cal 5V terminal and then slowly rotate the trigger LEVEL knob until you get a stable square wave trace.
7. At this point, you can adjust the Time/Div and Volts/div knobs to obtain the desired waveform display.

Have fun!

gatoruss said:
I cannot get the x axis to "freeze." The waveform moves either left-to-right or right-to-left.
Is this supposed to be the case? Can someone point me in the right direction?
It looks like you've got it setup right to trigger on channel 1. Try adjusting the trigger level control to see if that stops the scrolling. If that doesn't work switch the mode switch to norm and adjust the level control again. If the waveform still drifts left or right then the trigger circuit in the scope is probably faulty.

kchriste said:
It looks like you've got it setup right to trigger on channel 1. Try adjusting the trigger level control to see if that stops the scrolling. If that doesn't work switch the mode switch to norm and adjust the level control again. If the waveform still drifts left or right then the trigger circuit in the scope is probably faulty.

Thanks.

Is the level control the knob to the right of the Mode switch? The knob can pull out, and in the out position does something to "Slope." Might that affect the scrolling? What about the buttons above mode, might they affect scrolling?

Hi,

I know your post is a year old but if you still need an Operation Manual for this scope I have one.

Cheers

Hello Btemple and others, I need the manual, because I have the same model and it is not giving me a straight line whenever I connect to the circuit. Also, even if I haven't supplied any power, it shows a blinking line which is not straight.

avi1,
What "straight line" does it mean?

Mine always had to have the "trace rotation" adjusted. What probes are you using and has the compensation been adjusted?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back