Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

hiking with a cell phone

Status
Not open for further replies.

brianb1998

I need some help here. I love to go hiking in salt lake city however most of the good spots have little to no reception. since I am an on call engineer I need to have reception where ever I go.

Is there anything Ican make or buy that will boost my signal greatly while hiking in the mountains.

It would have to be self contained since obviouslt I wont be able to plug it in to a power source.

You can rent a sat phone, still pricey, but probably more reliable than a cell booster which you can't vouch for until it's too late.

This link will show you all the FCC registered cell phone sites in the Salt Lake City area.

There is no way to develop what you are looking for. The problem being the transmissions from tower are pretty much line of sight and omnidirectional (some being directional). Most advertised products that make the claim they will improve range are snake oil.

One possibility may to see how well different providers cover the areas you hike in, however, if there are none offering good coverage you are pretty much at square one. I know we have a few forum members in Utah and I think the Salt Lake area so maybe one of them will have a provider suggestion.

Ron

What are your options if you get injured and can't move?

Perhaps there is a two-way pager that would cover your hiking area.

Hope a well built Mormon gal finds you or do like they did in the old days and tuff it out and find out what you are really made of! :D

The same thing you did before cell phones were common place. You lie there injured waiting to be rescued or you die. That's about it for options. Common sense dictates that when hiking in what could be considered wild mountainous country you let some people know where you are going. Then if you fail to return someone knows about where to look.

Ron

Hey, I live in Salt Lake City, and I go hiking in the mountains almost every day ( I have a dog that must be exercised, and it is good for me, too). I carry a cell phone and have coverage (ATT) most of the places I go. I also carry one of these.

Last edited:
I believe you can get increased range on some cell phones, but only passively. As its a transciever, which regularly changes frequency channel (and band) the on board transciever has an internal antennae switch, as well as RF amps (both tx annd rx) that constantly change their gain to extend battery life whilst maintaining a constant link with the nearest basestation. Any 'active circuitry' would have to sync with the tx/rx switch, and amps, which a few years ago were external, now they tend to be integrated all on one chip. (read: inaccessable singals).

It would require an external antenna, and modification of the phone, probably permenant making the phone less convenient for normal use. So, can it be done? I believe so, but with a LOT of hassle, and possible sacrifice of the phone itself. Is it practical? naaaa

For another 'impreactical' idea (one that takes time, effort and money) would be a secondary amateur radio link. Your phone left in your car, somewhere it gets reception, rigged via its hands free port, to a CB radio. You would have to add some way of detecting incoming calls to 'page' the CB radio, and a single data link to send control back to the phone end to 'answer' the phone, then just use the two way radio part.

I'm not suggesting its 'viable' but its an option :D albeit a overly complicated one.

As a lone worker in Cumbria we use a “Bag Phone” with a roaming SIM card, it gets a signal when nothing else will.

Bags phones are available for all the different types of network in the US and are normally based on vehicle sets so they can be DIY’d quite easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back