Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Higher end USB DSO's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joseph Davis

Hi, guys. I'm looking for someone who has a little experience with the portable PC-based scopes to provide some feedback before I buy anything.

I'd dearly love to get in and out in the $700 or a little higher priced range, because that's what I have to spare right now, but I can go higher. I'd really like to have some top notch performing gear, and while spec sheets tell you what a scope will do sometimes a poorly laid out software interface kills off any and all usefullness.

I really only need dual trace ~100 Mhz, I deal primarily with slower 8 and 16 bit MCUs but am leaving room to grow a little. I am stuck on a USB based PC-instrument because portability is an absolute must - I already carry about a metric ton of gear with me wherever I go, and lugging a full sized bench unit with me is not an option.

So far I'm looking closely at:

DSO-8202/DSO-8502 found **broken link removed**.
GAO 2902(512) - although the 2904 is giving me a chubby - found here.
The Bitscope 310U looks competitively priced, **broken link removed**, needs probes and a logic pod for another $100 or so.

Frankly, I'm a bit out of my depth, and am looking for a reality check, constructive advice, or failling that just good old fashioned verbal abuse.

Thanks. :)

I have a USB scope made by a Dutch company TiePie Engineering.
It cost me a lot of cash, and I dont use it very much, I prefer my old analogue scope for general use.
When I do use it, i find some of the controls a bit confusing, probably because I dont use it much!
However, it does have a lot of useful features, and if I was "out on the road" it would be with me.

Have a look here:
https://www.tiepie.com/uk/home/

They do have a dealer in the USA, have a look on the website, they are listed.

JimB

Don't forget that "high-end" PC-based scope have similar specifications to "really low-end" stand-alone digital scopes. When you check the specs, most PC-based scopes won't have the sampling rate to cover the bandwidth. Consider that a low-end Tektronix DSO with a 60MHz bandwidth has a 2GHz sampling rate. Compare your intended "scope" specs with that before you waste too much money.

Dean

Yeah, I approached one of my instructors about the subject, he shot me in your direction, Dean. At school students take out 1-2 of the analog Hitachi/Tektronics scopes a semester, but the TDS-1002 and 1012 digital scope they've had for several years with zero failures. Pretty robust unit, and it weighs under 5 lbs - still portable as hell, even has a handle on top, and for ~$250 I can get a CF memory module with a RS-232 port for uplinking to a PC.

I'm finding refurb TDS-2012 for $1200 with warranty, dunno what I can get through school yet. It looks like I'm going that route, and a whole hell of a lot better off for it.

Hey, thanks guys, I do appreciate the input!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back