Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Higher current Switching triac

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi

You forgot to attach the circuit, but try something like this.

I may be incorrect but according to the data-sheet the BT136 will handle up to 4A, so a 100W bulb should work as is I think.

I connected one 60 watt bulb and one 40 watt in series which are dim when lit. Do you think I can use BT 136 replacing BT 139 in the circuit ?

Last edited:
I connected one 60 watt bulb and one 40 watt in series which are dim when lit. Do you think I can use BT 139 replacing BT 169 in the circuit ?

hi,
The BT169 triac is only rated at 0.5Arms, whereas the BT139 is 4Arms.

Yes , you can , change R10 and R9 to 1..2 Kohm , at least 1W because BT139 need four times gate trigger current than BT136.

Sorry Ericgibbs, I meant replacing Bt 136 with Bt 139

The BT139 is a 16Arms triac.

What are you planning to control.?

The latching and holding currents for the BT139 are approx double that of the BT136.

EDIT:
If you use the BT139, you may have to reduce the 5.6K on the MOC3021 to approx 3.9K.
The MOC and BC547 will be OK.

Last edited:
I connected one 60 watt bulb and one 40 watt in series which are dim when lit. Do you think I can use BT 136 replacing BT 139 in the circuit ?

Of course they are dim. If you want full power you have to connect them in parallel.
Jirka

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back