Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

High voltage lifter

Status
Not open for further replies.

things

i am planning to build a high voltage lifter and was wondering what kind of voltage would be necessary to make it work. i do have some ways of making high voltage eg; igniton coil and driver, super mini tesla coil.
which one of these would suit best if i had to use them

hi,

What voltage levels do want to produce, is it AC/DC and at what current.

Whats the HV going to be used for.?

apparently if you hook up high voltage to a peice of wire over some aluminium foil under it it wil creat some kind of ionic wind and will lift it.i've seen some use neon sign transformers for the high voltage but i don't have one:( . so i was wondering if an ignition coil will be able to supply a high enough voltage eg;it can generate a 1cm spark

hi,
An ignition coil will easily generate 10kVolts, a rule of thumb, a 10kV voltage will jump across a 1cm gap.

When you use the ignition coil dont forget the series ballast resistor.

I thought neon sign transformers were current limited.

A neon sign transformer will produce AC, you want DC so so you'll need to put it though a rectifier and small filtering capacitor. If you want it to be safe then you'll probably need to limit the current; this is why you might want to consider a ballast resistor.

the reason i wan't to use an ignition coil is because i already have a jacobs ladder kit that uses one so the swithing is all ready done for me and it only the high voltage generator i have apart from some tiny tiny tesla coil things (from a plasma ball) and a peizo lighter.

All i was wondering is what kind of voltage is required to lift the thing, i have made one and get some wind but do i need more voltage or wire closer to the foil.

thanks

Find a copy of "Electronic Gadgets For The Evil Genius", first project in the book.

They use 30 kVDC, the voltage is connected to the foil. Not sure if the DC matters or if it's just the driver circuit they want to sell you. Seems it works the same way an Ion-motor works with a Tesla coil, which is AC. Almost tempted to dust off my 250kv Tesla and try it, but don't want to risk killing this computer. Not 100% it was responsable, but haven't had any hardware failures since putting it away...

i have been looking around for tesla coils as i really want one but cannot build one due to time and price. the cheapest one i could find was a kit for $500. going to be saving for a while:(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back