Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

High Voltage Indicator??

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZIGGY_DAN

I need a circuit to tell me when my capacitors are charged to around 200V or 400V:), am i correct in thinking i can use a potential divider with high value resistors and a neon bulb, the resistor values chosen to give a voltage of 70-95V(i think this is the strike voltage for most neon bulbs)

what kind of current do neons pull?, i wanted to use high value resistors to keep the current flow from the capacitors to a minimum.

are there any other possible indicators other than neons, perhaps LED's??

Thanks.

Neons are very low current, as you say select the potential divider so it lights the neon when you wish - bear in mind that the neon WILL load the top resisor more and the voltage across the neon will fall, but it should still be OK, as the running voltage is lower than the strike voltage.

You will probably have to experiment to find which values work the best!.

Nigel Goodwin said:
(and is usually used in camera flash guns!).

What a coincidence, this is what i am using my capacitors for and this why i need to know when they are charged, i think i will go for a neon.

Thanks Nilgel:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back