Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

High voltage Ignition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Overclocked

As part of another hobby (model engineering), Im building my own 2 stroke engine based on plans here :

http://ridders.nu/Webpaginas/pagina_tweetakt_puppy/tweetakt_puppy_frameset.htm

But I cant seem to locate any type of high voltage ignition source for the spark that is cheap and small enough. I also cant locate a high voltage transformer suitable enough as well or else I would build my own unit.

The original author uses something from a lighter, but Ive also had a hard time locating the same type of lighter circuit in the US

http://ridders.nu/Webpaginas/pagina_blokker_vonkcircuit/blokker_crcuit_frameset.htm

Anyone have suggestions on where I could get a small battery powered sparker? If it helps any, the spark gap will be .5mm (0.0196'') or less.

Have you seen these? Many more on FleaBay. **broken link removed**

I have not, thanks! But what worries me is if the whole thing is potted. I need access to the switch so I can solder in a microswitch (or hall sensor).

I found **broken link removed**but again I worry about replaceability and if it could keep up. According to the plans the most I could expect out of this engine would be 2000 RPMs ( Which, if i did my math right is around 318 Hz).

Which, if i did my math right is around 318 Hz
Don't know how you got that. 2-stroke = 1 spark per rev, so 2000rpm = 2000/60 = 33Hz.

If you need a simple and very compact ignition system that is mass produced just look at the ones used on chain saws and string trimmers or there such lawn and garden equipment that runs on small two or four stroke engines. Tiny core and coil setups but highly effective!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back