Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

High Voltage/High Current Silicon Rectifier?

Status
Not open for further replies.

scotgiant

Hi, I believe I have a High Voltage Silicon Rectifier here. (see photo). It is a part# ED6048 made by Electronic Devices Inc. I checked it with a DMM like I would a diode and I am not getting any readings in either direction. Does anybody know anything about these? Am I checking it correctly? Would my results indicate it is dead?
Thanks,
Brad.

Attachments

• diode 002.jpg
    diode 002.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 341
  • diode 001.jpg
    diode 001.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 300
You need about 10 V in the forward direction to make it conduct. At least, that's my experience. So, do it the hard way. Try a 9V battery or 2 in series and a resistor and measure the voltage across the diode in both directions.

High voltage diodes are often made of a stack of carefully matched diode to increase the overall reverse breakdown voltage. This obviously raises the conduction voltage of the overall stack.

If it is also high current, the power dissipation can be quite high, overall forward voltage x current.

KISS,
Did this with 18volts and a 10K resistor. Getting ~18.8v if I hook it up in one direction and ~9.5v in the other! Excuse me for not understanding but, what does that mean????
Thanks for your help guys.
Brad.

Either it is blown, or you need to increase the power supply voltage even higher, try about 30V, and reduce the series resistor to 1K. If the rectifier is ok, no current will flow one way, (so 0V drop across the resistor), and with the diode in the other direction, the forward drop should be about 10 to 20 times 0.65V. That will tell you how many diodes are connected in series inside the module.

Use a 100 ohm resistor instead of 10 K. You may be measuring the voltage divider of you meter and the 10K. or just measure the voltage across the resistor. another way would be to measure the current in each direction.

Last edited:
Either it is blown, or you need to increase the power supply voltage even higher, try about 30V, and reduce the series resistor to 1K. If the rectifier is ok, no current will flow one way, (so 0V drop across the resistor), and with the diode in the other direction, the forward drop should be about 10 to 20 times 0.65V. That will tell you how many diodes are connected in series inside the module.

Okay. Now I have 28Volts on it with a 1K resistor. Readings are ~28v in one direction and ~12 in the other. Should I consider it blown?
Thanks again guys!
Brad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back