Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

High voltage ESR (equivalent series resistance) table wanted

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlGeorge

Hi all.
I have an ESR meter which has the common table up to 250v. However, much of what we are testing is up to 450v.
Does anyone know of a ESR table thats been done to cover common values up to 450v?
If so, please put the url here.

I don't have the faintest idea what you're actually asking?, what on earth if an 'ESR table' ?.

I've been using an ESR meter for decades, never seen or heard of an 'ESR table', nor can I envision any requirement for one?.

When testing for faulty capacitors it's usually pretty obvious when the reading is too high, but you do need to be aware that high voltage capacitors (such as 1uF 450V start-up - commonly have high readings anyway, but aren't the type of capacitors which give ESR problems).

This is probably what he is refering to, which is the label on the front of an ESR meter I built years ago & still use.
scan0003.jpg

That table presumes that every capacitor whose value and rating match those on the table, will have a specific ESR, which is absolutely NOT true.

Even within the Aluminum electrolytic family, parts are available with the same value and rating, but with a very wide range of ESRs.

A quick look on DigiKey for 10uF, 25V parts turned up a range from 0.85 to 48 Ohms.

Add to that all of the other capacitor types, and you have an even larger range of ESR values. So, testing or designing with numbers from such a table will be almost useless.

You really need to look at the manufacturers data for a specific capacitor series to get a typical ESR value for any given capacitor.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back