Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

High voltage diode

Status
Not open for further replies.

Klifford

Hi

Do i need any special gig to test a HV diode (specifically HVR X1) found microwave ovens . My digital meter reads open both forward and reverse bias . Does that mean its gone . How can i be sure .
I'm using a fluke 78 .

Thanks

Kliff.

nop a diode is a diode whether it is a HV or LV. The only difference is HV one's can have a higher forward volt drop but it is more like 0.8V as opposed to 0.6.

sounds like it is blown. Try using it as a diode with a batt and a res and measure volt drop over hte res to c if it is blown but it does sound like it is sorry

Styx said:
nop a diode is a diode whether it is a HV or LV. The only difference is HV one's can have a higher forward volt drop but it is more like 0.8V as opposed to 0.6.

sounds like it is blown. Try using it as a diode with a batt and a res and measure volt drop over hte res to c if it is blown but it does sound like it is sorry

HV diodes are often a number of diodes in series, the voltage drop across them can be considerable.

First off - for Klifford - A WARNING! - the voltage and current levels in a microwave oven are exceedingly dangerous, and would almost certainly be fatal should you get a shock from them. The internal capacitor can stay charged up, and could also be dangerous - quite possibly fatal.

Secondly, as a professional microwave oven service agent for many years, it's unlikely the rectifier would be O/C, I've never known it happen, they invariably go S/C.

Nigel Goodwin said:
Styx said:

HV diodes are often a number of diodes in series, the voltage drop across them can be considerable.

First off - for Klifford - A WARNING! - the voltage and current levels in a microwave oven are exceedingly dangerous, and would almost certainly be fatal should you get a shock from them. The internal capacitor can stay charged up, and could also be dangerous - quite possibly fatal.

Secondly, as a professional microwave oven service agent for many years, it's unlikely the rectifier would be O/C, I've never known it happen, they invariably go S/C.

depends?
If it is a monolithic power diode then the volt drop for a 150A 1200V diode is abt 0.3V for an infineon die.

If it is multiples of kv then yep the volt drop will be the summation of the induvidual voltdrop.

searching for the part you asked for only could find HVF 1x not HVR x1 (is that right?)
it say 12kv blocking for 0.5A current with a volt drop of 10V.
https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2004/05/ckehvc05.pdf

so it is a hi voltage diode not a high power one. Best bet to check if it works is get a 2 9v batteries and a 49ohm resistor to check if it draws any current

Klifford said:
Hi

Do i need any special gig to test a HV diode (specifically HVR X1) found microwave ovens . My digital meter reads open both forward and reverse bias . Does that mean its gone . How can i be sure .
I'm using a fluke 78 .

Thanks

Kliff.

You want to be sure? Try and force a current through it, say 10 - 20 mA.

Try it in both directions if it is not apparent which side is cathode & anode.
Before doing anything else, you really should ensure that the high voltage caps are discharged. Try searching this forum, I recall someone discussing a method to discharge HV caps. Be CAREFUL! I always use only one hand (when possible)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back