Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

High Voltage Components

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clyd3

Hi, I'm fascinated by things like tesla coils, jacob's ladders , railguns etc. and would like to take my "experimenting" to more accurate and possibly more powerful levels.
The only power source I'm really familiar with is that of Computer Monitors (CRTs), which dont seem to have much current. I actually don't really know how much current or voltage they give off, but I had quite a few broken monitors and it was quite fun...

Anyway, I'm getting some TVs and Microwaves from this repair shop and I can get Neon transformers from some guys down the road (I'd prefer not to -financial reasons), but my main / real question is what voltage and current can I expect to get from the supplies at what frequency (if AC) and what other components can I salvage such as capacitors?
What other devices should I salvage from.
I'm also on a High voltage capacitor hunt.
I've read similar posts about topics like this here in the past, so I'm sure many of you are pretty / very experienced in this field :lol:

If you are after salveging High-Voltage stuff, I would start with Insulation!!! and lots of it

HV is extreamly dangerous and arch's can start at alot higher distance than you can expect.

Well, my father is a handy / jeweler guy and has plenty of plastics and resins and stuff and means to get, but give me some details, what types of coatings (for windings) and insulation works best, and handles high temp. best?

I like that kind of reply... That rules, shot Styx!

MOTs will give off low voltage (2kv or so) at high amperage, which makes them very deadly. But if you can get enough voltage to make a ladder keep on arcing, you get really fat, hot , long arcs which are pretty cool. If there's not enough voltage, the arc won't rise, itll look just like a welder.

But look out man, those things can kill. And beware that there are usually three leads out of the transformer. One is the HV line, the others I think heat the filament in the magnetron. The other HV lead is the transformer case itself! If you don't know that, it could kill you! It pays to be extremely cautios

Where can i get hv capacitors?
What things will have them inside?

I'd disagree with Zach that microwave transformers are "low voltage", 2KV isn't low by any means, and as for "those things can kill" - that's rather on the optimistic side - THESE THINGS WILL KILL!.

You are VERY unlikely to survive a shock from a microwave transformer, the combination of high voltage and high current would almost certainly be fatal.

As for your question about monitor transformers, monitor and TV line output stages are designed to give no more than 1mA output - which is why they aren't terribly dangerous, even thought he voltage is between 20KV and 30KV.

Thanks everyone,
So what current does a microwave supply put out then?
Lots of things are lethal... CHOCOLATE IS LETHAL, but dont worry, I'll take care, that's all I think about it seems...
What household appliances contain good things like high voltage power supplies and capacitors?

Clyd3 said:
Thanks everyone,
So what current does a microwave supply put out then?

About 0.5A at 2000V.

Lots of things are lethal... CHOCOLATE IS LETHAL, but dont worry, I'll take care, that's all I think about it seems...

There's rather a difference between a bar of chocolate and a lethally high voltage! - an accidental momentary contact is highly likely to kill you! - that hardly applies to a bar of chocolate!.

It's not a subject to treat lightly, and I'm EXTREMELY suprised a service agent would let you have old microwaves?, due to the potential danger.

What household appliances contain good things like high voltage power supplies and capacitors?

It depends what you're looking for?, microwaves are the usually the only powerful high voltage source in the home.

I'd disagree with Zach that microwave transformers are "low voltage", 2KV isn't low by any means, and as for "those things can kill" - that's rather on the optimistic side - THESE THINGS WILL KILL!.

Well ya, not low voltage, i meant low voltage in comparison to a neon sign tranformer or flyback transformer.

yeah, Nigel's right, they will kill you without a doubt!

I'm sorry about the stupid 'bar of chocolate' comment. :oops:
I had been reading quite a lot about precautions with regard to electricity and esp. high voltages, and I actually ended up exhasperating (sp?) myself... :?
You see, I actually have almost a phobia (sp?) to getting shocked, and I can't stand the idea one bit, so I read up on as many safety precautions as possible until it drove me a bit crazy.
I'm EXTREMELY pleased about how the people on this forum take safety so seriously, and thankyou. 8)

By the way, the guys at the repair shop have no problem sending things like that to me, 'cause they know what kind of fanatic I am with that kind of thing, namely; self preservation!

What types of useful components are in scanners, I'm having 5 old ones sent here on Tuesday!

Many thanks,
Clyd3

Clyd3 said:
What types of useful components are in scanners, I'm having 5 old ones sent here on Tuesday!

High voltage wise probably nothing much?, although older ones might use a flourescent type of light to do the scanning?.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back