Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

High Voltage Amplifier

Status
Not open for further replies.

SaraJackson

Hey All,

I want to increase the output of a function generator (0.5 V Ac) to something in the order of >2000 V.
I have an open circuit, so there is no concern about the current.

You guys have any idea how can I do it? Or where can I find a high voltage amplifier?

Tnx,
Sara

What are you going to do with 2000CV if it is not hooked up to anything?

I have some 2000V transistors (100mA) but they are real hard to find. Most of those transistors are out of produciton.
Tubes (valve) could do the job....also hard to find.
You could make a 200V amp and auto-transformer up to 2000 volts. I have done that. The transformer will be a problem.

My approach would be to use an off-the-shelf amplifier to amplify the signal up to an intermediate voltage (say 20-50V ?) and then use a step-up transformer to go from there to 2000V. A LOPT from an old TV or monitor might do the trick.

Edit: Ronsimpson's post crossed with mine. I see we're thinking along the same lines!

Last edited:
Most flyback transformers have diodes inside. If the goal is to pass a waveform through the transformer the diodes will be a problem.

Point taken. I haven't tried taking a LOPT apart. Any chance the diode(s) could be removed without destroying the windings?

High voltage transformers are potted. (filled with an insulator) They are potted under a vacuum so no air pockets can happen. Some insulators are soft and can be removed with a knife and some are hard.

A TV flyback might have only one diode. Many CRT monitors have transformers that have 5 to 7 secondarys with a diode between each winding.

Mmm, seems the LOPT is a non-starter then.

You probably could get a standard HV power transformer, such as from a microwave, to operate up to 1500Hz. It might be somewhat lossy but that shouldn't be a big problem if no significant output current is required.

I have seen some older TVs with the diodes on the PCB and some flybacks with the diodes in a tube coming out of the potting that have a screw top so you can replace them.
maybe have a look around and see what you can find.
Andy

A TV flyback is designed for 15khz. You will probably fine it wants to resonate at 3, 5 or 7x that frequency.
If there are diodes around the flyback on the PCB they are for the sub-1k voltages. 27Kv is never on the PCB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back