Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

high voltage amplification

Status
Not open for further replies.

nimaajbphs

First off, Hi to all in the community! =)
this is my first posting. I'm an undergrad physics student.
I am currently working on a new diode laser system design, the output frequency of the laser is dependent on the length of the external cavity.A piezo crystal is attached to a semireflective mirror whose position determines the length of the external cavity. By feeding the triangle wave to the piezo I can scan across a very fine range of output frequencies. Specifically frequencies corresponding to electronic transition structures in rubidium atoms whose spectrum is being used for other applications such a frequency locking and stabilaztion etc.

The shape of the input signal is important since any irregular deviations such as non linearity in the gain will translate directly a shift in the laser output light frequency, so I need to preserve the shape of the triangle wave in the output.

I need to build a high voltage amplifier that is, I need to turn an input signal(sawtooth 0 to 10 V pk to pk) from a function generator into an output signal : 0 to 100 V peak to peak at maximum gain.I also need a gain adjustment knob.the frequency range is from 10 Hz to 5 kHz and the load is a piezoelectric transducer with a capacitance of 0.09 micro farads (https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2011/06/15639-S01.pdf)

I'm sort of a noob in circuit development and I'm in desperate need of suggestions and advice! Currently I'm planning on achieving this by using an HV opamp such as **broken link removed** but i'm not sure if that is the best choice. I'm planning on setting a basic non inverting configuration and again I'm not sure if thats the best design. I have attached a copy of the schematic. Please let me know if what I've drawn is correct. Any suggestions or advice is greatly appreciated..**broken link removed**

Also after some searching I found this: **broken link removed**
I'm not sure if it could be used for my application. If anyone has had any experience using these your advice is much appreciated.

Welcome.

Your Cirrus link is to an obsolete device. But any of their high voltage op amps that exceed your requirements should work.

The maximum required op amp output current for a 0-100V triangle wave driving .09µF at 5kHz is 90mA.

The maximum required op amp slew rate is 1V/µs.

Remember that many of these high voltage op amps can not swing all the way to the supply rail (within about 10V seems typical) so you will need a supply voltage higher than 100V to achieve a 100V peak output.

Cirrus has evaluation boards available which may help in your design.

You can get a variable gain by configuring the op amp in a non-inverting gain configuration and using a pot for the feedback resistor. That will allow you to adjust the gain from 1 to the maximum (as determined by the resistor values). Remember to consider the power dissipated in the feedback resistors from the high voltage.

Any power supply that generates the required DC voltage at the required current should work for you.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back