Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

High resistance, good or bad in an alternator?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DongBeetle

Hi all
I'm in the process of building a small 3 phase alternator, consisting of 6 coils and 8 magnets, the wire I'm using is 0.3mm and each coil is just about 675 turns (1350 turns and 80 meters of wire pr. phase)
The thing is, there's about 20,3 Ohm's thru each phase, and that seems high to me,
so.. is that good or bad in an alternator/generator?
And is there some rules or guidelines when it comes to building these things?

Regards.

I think it all depends on what you are trying to do with the alternator. It might be different for a wind generator than for a car battery charger.

ok, well isn't wind generators usually used to charge (car)batteries :D but I get your point!
It's a small alternator (ca. 8cm/3,2inch dia.) so I'm not looking to draw a lot of amp and voltage from it.
I'm going to use either a bedini, newman or window motor to drive it, and probably charge some caps or maybe a small 12v lead acid batt. (if I get enough voltage)

I don't know how to calculate the output. I think it depends on a lot of variables like magnets, spacing etc.
But based on what you have measured I would say you have something that will put out high voltage at low RPM (like wind) but not much current (High resistance).

Hi all
I could still use some advice on this alternator business, please.
And one other thing I forgot to ask, what about heat? is that likely to be a problem due to the resistance?
Also, I've tried to figure out how to make a switch hookup to switch between 'star' and 'delta' configuretion, can you tell me if what I've come up with is right and will work!?
View attachment 65422

Regards.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back