Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

high power

Status
Not open for further replies.

jazzyb

Hi i was wondering if someone can help me with a project i'm working on

I need to step up my inverter from 240vac to about 2500vdc
I'm using the old cap/diode method however i am unsure of the ratings needed
I read somewhere of using photo caps with twice the rating for voltage/ampage, so i thought i'd ask to be on the safe side.

Any help would be appreciated.:confused:

What current do you require?

If you want lots of power then a cheap way would be to use a microwave transformer and voltage doubler circuit from an old microwave oven.

Don't listen to anyone who tells you, you can charge photo capacitors to double their rated voltage without them exploding. Also capacitors don't have a current rating unless you're talking about the ripple current which is only valid at AC.

A MOT would probably work pretty good if current isnt an issue.

I think t
he caps for the voltage multiplier circuit need to be rated at 2X the peak input voltage, so 240 AC would be around 700V.

a safer way would probably be a neon sign transformer, although they put out a voltage a bit higher that you want. If your lucky you might find one to suit your needs with the right voltage?

jazzyb said:
cheers bud

The ampage isnt much of an issue just high voltage
thanks for the info
What are you using it to power?

Does the output need to be electrically isolated from the input?

The current is important or at least an order of magnitude, 1:mu:A, 1mA, 10mA, 100mA, 1A?

Does it need to be current limited for safety reasons?

another way would be a power transformer but you would have to be very lucky or rich to get one. they are also deadly:D hehehe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back