Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

High Power IR LED for optical intercom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Electricman2K5

Can anyone recommend any very high power (ouput) IR LED's - most importantly they must have a wide beam angle and be able to be powered from 9V. It is for an optical intercom between 2 cyclists. For about 10m range

(Before smart alec asks me to use RF my project is based on free space space optical communcitions so I cant!!!!)

Thanks for any help

Electricman2K5 said:
Can anyone recommend any very high power (ouput) IR LED's - most importantly they must have a wide beam angle and be able to be powered from 9V. It is for an optical intercom between 2 cyclists. For about 10m range

(Before smart alec asks me to use RF my project is based on free space space optical communcitions so I cant!!!!)

Thanks for any help

Then I would say that this is a poor project choice for IR application. While, it may have textbook appeal, any final solution will likely not be practical (or cost effective) in the real world.

At a glance, you will need to provide significant power to the IR devices for that range.. This will cause a large capacity battery to be needed - smothering the practical use already....

If you must pursue this, find ANY wide angle IR device, and use lots of them. Pulse them at HIGH currents and use pulse code modulation of the comm sheme.. that would be my advice.........

More details

Sorry I didn't really make the application clear I was in a bit of a rush. The actual application involves a cyclist pulling a connecting trailer as per my rather basic diagram below!!!!!. The passengers in the trailer need to communicate with the cyclist There should be direct line of sight most of the time, except during cornering this is where the main problem area is.

Attachments

• plan_155.jpg
    plan_155.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 589
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back