Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

High Frequency Kid Repellent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Analog

U.K. Campaign Targets Kid Repellents

By ROBERT BARR – 23 hours ago

LONDON (AP) — England's commissioner for children and a civil liberties group joined in a campaign Tuesday to ban high-frequency devices intended to drive away kids who congregate outside shops and in other areas.

The so-called "Mosquito" device emits high-frequency noise that is audible — and annoying — to young ears, but generally not heard by people over 20.

"This device is a quick fix that does not tackle the root cause of the problem and it is indiscriminate," English Children's Commissioner Al Aynsley-Green said.

The campaigners claim that about 3,500 of the electronic kid repellents, made by a Welsh company, are in use.

Aynsley-Green said in an interview with British Broadcasting Corp. radio that the devices do not deal with the real problem, which is that children have no place to gather other than on the streets.

"I think it is a powerful symptom of what I call the malaise at the heart of our society," he said.

"I'm very concerned about what I see to be an emerging gap between the young and the old, the fears, the intolerance, even the hatred, of the older generation toward the young."

Youth crime is a major concern in Britain; according to the crime prevention charity Nacro, young people are responsible for two-fifths of incidents of theft, burglary, robbery and violence.

Fear of violent youth was underlined this week by the conviction of a 19-year-old man, and youths aged 17 and 16 for killing a 47-year-old man who had confronted them about their drunken behavior.

Shami Chakrabarti, director of the civil rights group Liberty, supported the campaign against the devices.

"Imagine the outcry if a device was introduced that caused blanket discomfort to people of one race or gender, rather than to our kids," Chakrabarti said. "The Mosquito has no place in a country that values its children and seeks to instill them with dignity and respect."

The Mosquito's inventor, Howard Stapleton, has called for agreement about guidelines for using the devices.

"We tell shopkeepers to use it when they have a problem and I would be more than happy to introduce a contract which stipulates to shopkeepers how it can be used," Stapleton was quoted by the Western Mail newspaper as saying.

"People talk about infringing human rights but what about the human rights of the shopkeeper who is seeing his business collapse because groups of unruly teenagers are driving away his customers?"http://ap.google.com/article/A...Kiay4zUU22QSwD8UOPRDO0

Does your family has a young baby?

How about people placing a tweeter nearby and banging 18KHz into his ears through no fault of his own?

Surely you can't hear them.

i can hear 22kHz and i'm 45. it may be unusual but certainly not unique.
i have no problem with anyone using offensive technology, providing it's effects are contained within their property and clear prior warning is given to all those permitted access.

I like the title “High Frequency Kid Repellent”.
Will it only repel high frequency kids?
Many of the kids hanging around the mall look pretty low frequency.

A big powerful subwoofer actually attracts low frequency kids.
It must be operated out-of-phase to repel them.

You could always put a subwoofer on one end of the street, and a high frequency pitch on the other, and watch them walk around in circles in the middle as they repel and attract themselves to the different sounds. :D

Then you are making a kid generator. They make electricity and might even make more kids.

they need to make one of those brown note generators. then they will poop their pants and have to go home

Does anyone have a schematic for the kid repeller? They hang out in the alley behind my property. I think the parents drop them off at the movie theater on the corner, but ditch the movie and use the ticket money to buy drugs. Ultrasonics doesn't seem to work on cats and dogs, surprised it works on antisocial kids.

HarveyH42 said:
Does anyone have a schematic for the kid repeller? They hang out in the alley behind my property. I think the parents drop them off at the movie theater on the corner, but ditch the movie and use the ticket money to buy drugs. Ultrasonics doesn't seem to work on cats and dogs, surprised it works on antisocial kids.

I doubt it would either- but that's marketing. To get me out of an area, play rap or heavy metal- but you'll get rid of many other people too :D

Take an astable 555 timer tuned for 18kHz and connect it to a piezo tweeter.

I don't really agree with the use of child repellers because they'll cause problems for people with good hearing and for dogs and cats. I also think that children should have the right to be on the street.

Also there's nothing stopping them getting ear plugs or a ghetto blaster that pumps out a loud enough bass line to cancel out the near ultrasonic tone.

I cannot agree with such an indiscriminate device. I could walk into an area "protected" by this device pushing my new born. How would I know why my precious baby is in distress? This is just not right.

Mike.

Last edited:
Walk around with a bat detector? :D

No, I agree, I'd like to see them banned.

I used to have bats flying around my neighbourhood at sunset. They disappeared a few years ago when the mosquitoes also disappeared.

Maybe the bats ate all the mosquitoes then went away to find more.

I don't think it has much effect on someone just passing by, just people standing nearby for a while. A single mosquito is slightly annoying, gets worse after you get an itchy bite or two... But standing in a whole swarm of them is tough. I would guess that if you knew it was electronic, and there would be no itchy bites, it wouldn't be very effective for most people. Still, sort of an interesting idea, and not likely to be very complex. Maybe sweep a certain frequency range, or fade in and out, stereo...

HarveyH42 said:
I don't think it has much effect on someone just passing by, just people standing nearby for a while. A single mosquito is slightly annoying, gets worse after you get an itchy bite or two... But standing in a whole swarm of them is tough. I would guess that if you knew it was electronic, and there would be no itchy bites, it wouldn't be very effective for most people. Still, sort of an interesting idea, and not likely to be very complex. Maybe sweep a certain frequency range, or fade in and out, stereo...
So, if myself and my baby go into a protected area, who should get the pain, me or my baby?

Mike.

Pommie said:
I cannot agree with such an indiscriminate device. I could walk into an area "protected" by this device pushing my new born. How would I know why my precious baby is in distress? This is just not right.

Mike.

I agree, i have a two week old girl and wouldn't want her to get hit with it. Congrats on the new kid Mike.

Gaston said:
they need to make one of those brown note generators. then they will poop their pants and have to go home

can be done at the frequency of 15 hz and an awful lot of power the human body is not capable to control it's rectum muscle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back