Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

High Frequency High Voltage

Status
Not open for further replies.

gfne

To whom it may concern,

I'm on a project that requires 10,000 volts to be converted from 12 volts and for that to be switched on and off 42,000 times a second.

My limited knowledge says in order to pulse, I need a frequency pulse generator with a relay in series with a coil capable of converting 12 volts to 10,000 volts.

Am I correct in the above statement?

Since this is an automotive application is there a way to accomplish this task using any other combination of equipment? If so, please explain.

Relays don't have the speed to open and close at such frequencies and even if they did, they would wear down in about...2 seconds, maybe a couple seconds more if you have one with really good lifetime.

Last edited:
Capacitive discharge ignition (CDI) systems became popular back in the late 1960's. You might search the web for CDI's both single and dual systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back