Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

High density PCB films

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there,

In an attempt to create PCB films with higher density, I have been investigating two options: (1) New laser printer or (2) toner enhancing spray

The first solution seems straightforward, but I can't find any good resources online agreeing on one model/brand with the capability of setting the toner layer thickness and produce high quality films. The second solution seems feasible, however, I can't find any distributor in Europe.

Does anyone have any experience with either solution and what to choose?

Thanks

I bought a Samsung C410 color laser, but the number of settings is very limited to say the least. I think HP is the brand to go for in this context.

The reason for my question is that I developed a method to increase the density of HP tones without changing the resolution. In brief, I paint over the entire transparency with black marker for white boards. When it is dry, I just rub over it with a soft tissue like Kleenex. The black marker fills the small voids in the traces and pours, but is removed from the clear areas. Recently, I found that it does not work with Brother toner. Apparently the solvent in the dry erase marker dissolves the Brother toner, but not he HP toner. Under a good magnifying lens, you can see the difference. HP toner has a granular appearance. Brother is splotches. I have not tried it on Samsung toner. If you have one of the dry erase markers, you can try it.

John

Great and inexpensive method. I have tried it and the result is definitely better than before + using a fine grain sponge leaves a cleaner film.
However, the resolution of the traces is very low resolution on this printer with no possibility for configuration. My solution is therefore be to find a new printer and then apply your method to enhance the quality afterwards.

P.S. Do you (John) or others know if the enhancing spray is for sale in Europe or in an American webshop like Mouser or Digikey? Could be nice to make a comparison between spray and whiteboard ink.

Here is the MSDS for Sprayway toner enhancer:

upload_2015-1-27_17-55-42.png

If you can't get a commercial toner enhancer, you might just try acrylic lacquer thinner, if you have a way to spray it.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back