Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

high current problem...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimbobsimmonds

i know this is more electrical rather than electronics but was still hoping some people here could help...

my problem is that i have to use a large resistive load of:

Max Power: 10KW @28VDC...

and

Max Power: 13KW @ 208VAC

both are in seperate looms, so what sort of current am i looking at and what sort of cabling will be adequate...

thanks
jimbob

Calculate the current using Ohm's law.

The cabling is a little more difficult: it depends on many factors: current, maximum acceptable voltage drop, conductor material, ambient temperature, maximum temperature rating of electrical insulation and surrounding materials, the number of neighbouring conductors in the conduit/sheath and the thermal insulation of the surrounding material.

For a start answer the following questions:

What's the maximum acceptable voltage drop?

Are the cables well ventilated? Are they in free air, a conduit or surrounded by a thermal insulating material such as foam?

How long are the cables?

minimal voltage drop if possible and the cables will be near people so will need to be well insulated. also we are looking in the 10-15m range of length...

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back