Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

High Current Power Supply

Status
Not open for further replies.
You are looking at about a 2,000 watt power supply. This is not something easily built or designed if you want a regulated output. This is a very expensive project. You make no mention of supply voltage, application, voltage or current regulation which tells me this is well beyond your means. However, as a base start you may want to look at welding supplies and hack one.

Ron

It is much better to buy some 12v rechargeable batteries and charge them in parallel then connect them in series.

I want to build it to be used as a stage for inverter to be converted to AC again and i thought that there are some kind of Regulator ICs that can do that for an output of a rectifier bridge = 60 V dc.

Why does everybody from "over there" need an inverter??
My electricity was planned to be very reliable and it is very reliable. It is also fairly in expensive.

It does seem theres rather a lot of posts about power inverters. But in the west we take electricity for granted - elsewhere people may have to 'make do'. Alas, they are never an 'easy project', even for <100W just getting sometihng to work is tough, regardless of efficiency/reliability.

So is this for converting mains high voltage down 48V? or visa versa? Anything at 10A+ is scary, let alone 40A. As ReloadRon mentioned.... welding power supplies supply such current, and they're used for.... welding!

Inverters are very inexpensive. I found one on the curb on garbage day. It was in its unopened original package. It was small and rated at 75W. Its list price was $34.99 but it was recently on sale for $8.49. I got $8.49 plus tax from the store when I returned it.

But thats 75W :) My laptop charger draws more than that. Don't get me wrong, handy for many things, including most small flat screen TV's, as well as DVD players. Once you get to 'useful' levels, they get expensive, and understandably so. Not only the larger components for higher power, but also the efficiency must be increased so i doesn't kick out 100W of heat (which can be usefull I suppose). I can see the appeal of a self build, as it *can* be significantly cheaper for 500W+ given access to various scrap parts - but even engineers with years of experience will spend a LONG time designing, measuring, and tweaking. So like everything in life, its a trade off between, time, effort, and money.

I must say though, I never like to 'put off' people starting a project, I'm always up for some good 'ol DIY - alas, with power >200W, its just not worth it in my opinion. When you ad dup the cost of the components, and any measuring equipment you need to beg/borrow/steal, as well as the time taken, and effort in building it, a pre-built one, of any power level, pays for itself. Unless the OP has access to several 'faulty' power converters/battery back up supplies, I don't see it happening, even if he has 30 years experience in the field.

Blueteeth said in part:

But in the west we take electricity for granted - elsewhere people may have to 'make do'. Alas, they are never an 'easy project', even for <100W just getting sometihng to work is tough, regardless of efficiency/reliability.

I quit taking electricity for granted. Hey, I have pictures of the attached covered in ice and snow and I hate cold. :) I figure 18 KW for my creature comfort in an emergency.

Also I seldom discourage a project but when you look at the requirments for this, I just did not see it as a viable and easily completed project.

Ron

Attachments

• Generator.jpg
    Generator.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 155
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back