Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

High bright LEDs

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is a "high bright LED" or a "higt bright LED"?
Some company must make it.
It must have a part number.
It must have a datasheet that tells all about it.

There are very powerful emitters like Luxeon and Lamina that are into the amps.

Speaking of such LEDs, watch out for the Nichia brand of ultra-bright LEDs that are comparable to the Luxeons, but at a much lower cost. I bought an Aurora clone flashlight featuring a 1.5w Nichia w/ constant current regulator and focused lens assy. for a mere $12. It's powered by two AA batteries and that light is d@mn bright!!! Impresses the hell out of everyone that has seen it. Waterproof alloy case too!

**broken link removed**

HiTech said:
Speaking of such LEDs, watch out for the Nichia brand of ultra-bright LEDs that are comparable to the Luxeons, but at a much lower cost.

care to share a source for these "lower" than lumileds priced nichia? I mean, $2.99 for a 1 amp (3 watt) luxeon is pretty cheap... I suppose that's a North American price, I've heard they cost considerably more in Europe.

justDIY said:
care to share a source for these "lower" than lumileds priced nichia? I mean, $2.99 for a 1 amp (3 watt) luxeon is pretty cheap... I suppose that's a North American price, I've heard they cost considerably more in Europe.
Well, a Luxeon 1 watt sells for $7-$8 US dollars on avg. here. Where are you getting that low price of $3 for a 3 watt Luxeon? I gotta get in on that deal!!!
I happened across the flashlight at a Target store, which is prolly the biggest competitor to WalMart. I even returned and bought their larger flashlight that runs off of two C batteries. However, there is no difference or increase in light output between both models. Remember, I'm buying an entire flashlight for $12, not just the LED. It's an incredible deal and the construction quality is right up there with Mag Lights. The Aurora brand flashlights sell for 3 times the price and I can't find any real difference between the two. I believe the private label is able to undercut the price of the Aurora. My son walked about a block away from me and turned on the light. It was so bright, it resembled a carbon arc!!

On a similar note, I ran across a fella during a camping trip who has his entire campsite illuminated by a strip of Luxeon leds running from a 12v deep cycle battery. He is a lighting engineer and was testing his design that is to be ultimately packaged and sold for use in the trailers towed by semi-trucks. I think he had about 8 Luxeons running and at first I thought he had hung up a flourescent fixture with two 4' lamps!! He was driving them pretty hard, beyond their specs to test their endurance. It was impressive, I admit. I expect vehicle headlights to go that route someday as the technology in both LEDs and CAD optics improves.

Last edited:
HiTech said:
Well, a Luxeon 1 watt sells for $7-$8 US dollars on avg. here. Where are you getting that low price of $3 for a 3 watt Luxeon? I gotta get in on that deal!!!

Last big batch I bought was from Future Electronics. The prices have changed a little since I last shopped, but there are a bunch for under $3US ea:

http://www.lumiledsfuture.com/products/family.cfm?familyId=7

All of the 1 watt luxeons are under $3US, many of them are under $2US:

http://www.lumiledsfuture.com/products/family.cfm?familyId=1

Well, looks like I'm gonna have to give them some of my business! Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back