Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

HID Headlight DRL Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

paulmackie

Hi,
I am looking for a way to stop 9 volts but allow 12 volts in the same L33 circuit wire?

I have a Jeep Patriot 2011, 9 volts comes from a circuit board and goes straight to the high beam, which is a reduced dimmed light for the DRLs (Daytime Running Lights), when the high beam is activated it puts 12 volts in the same L33 circuit shown in the diagram; the low beam is activated by a separate circuit board.

2011Patriot Headlight Circuit jpeg.jpg

The HID harness is plugged into the connector going to the headlights and has a solenoid in the HID projector that operates the high beam with the reduced 9 volts; when the car is put in drive the high beams (DRLs) come on, which even during the daytime are blinding for other drivers.

What I am looking for is some way to restrict the 9 volts going directly to the high beam wire (L33 white/pink, which operates the HID harness solenoid turning on the high beams) and effectively turn off the DRLs, but allow 12 volts if I need to use high beams.

If I could stop the 9 volts and allow 12 volts I would then add a relay using the 9 volts and turn on my fogs, which would replace the DRLs.

Thanks.

You could run the high beam pink wire thru a normally open relay that is activated by the low beam blue wire circuit. The high beam would only come on if you have the headlight switch on.

Jeep designers are CRAZY to use high beams as a daytime running lights because they blind on-coming drivers when it is cloudy and at other low light times.
Smack! OOps, I didn't see the old lady walking across the road because I was blinded by that on-coming Jeep. High beams are used only when you have no on-coming traffic.
ALL Chrysler cars and lorrys DOO DAT. I hope Fiat fixes them.
Most cars dim the low beams or use the turn signal or fog lights for DRL.

It would be a good idea to get an oscilloscope on line L33. I think that you will find that the brightness is controlled by PWM, not by a change peak voltage.

I guess that the 9 V is what you measured with a voltmeter. That would imply that the power is on for 75% of the time. However I suspect that the power is on for a lot less than that, because 75% would appear nearly as bright at 100%. I think that during the parts of the cycle where the power is off, the voltage doesn't fall all the way to 0 V, so the average voltage is much higher than the peak voltage multiplied by the duty cycle.

Vehicle circuits have to work with a range of supply voltages, and the change from 9 to 12 V would be badly affected by the battery voltage changing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back