Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

HID ballast/LCD projector switching spark gap symptoms

Status
Not open for further replies.

linuxglobal

Hi everyone,

Im looking into fixing some hid ballasts. They worked perfect until a few days ago when 1 started flashing and cutting out. Im not sure but when i took it apart i saw the switching spark gap flicker right when the bulb began to cut out. Once it dies shaking it tapping it wont do anything.

I tried running it on its side, and it starts up with no problems.

I was just wondering if anyone knew the symptoms of a dying or faulty switching spark gap. This one has a breakdown voltage of 600V. I have the rest of the specs on it. Im actually getting one from the states in a few days (Canadian).

I have a video of the ballast booting up and failing + how the spark gap flickers. I wonder, if the spark gap fails would that break the ignition sequence. I have pics + videos if you guys know anything on the topic.
Email me at camunteanu@gmail.com if you want me to send u the 2 vids i have of the ballast activity. I have board pics with the serial codes. + the location of the spark gap

They use the switching spark gaps in lcd projectors as well.

Thanks in advance. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Nothing else than a spark gap thats starts conducting once its reached its breakdown voltage (Its arcs over betwen contacts)

I had a failure with a GM lighting system (98 Envoy) and techs who did first repair (warranty) replaced both lamp and ballast/ignitor - explaining that they could not determine which part was at fault - and that the failure of one part can damage the other.

A year later I replaced the other side - not under warranty. Parts alone were $750 US - insane. If they fail again I'm converting back or to a more common HID system.

In both cases failure was preceeded by white light turning pink over a period of a few minutes.

hmmm ya the envoy had a DC system. Dim and unreliable. You are better off getting a regular hid AC setup for under 300$ USD for everything.

You will have to rebase your bulbs to fit into your housing.

Someone Electro,

So the spark gap could cause this cutout im seeing?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back