Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Hi to all, Help with starting PICs please

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigal_scorpio

Hi everyone, :)

I have just been given a PICSTART - 16B1 PIC programmer and a bunch of PIC 16c54 chips from a friend who had them given to him but didn't want them.

I was wondering what the best way to start learning and using the PICs would be, are the programmer or chips too old or outdated? (he said it was given to him some years ago)

Anyway if anyone can help with ideas or info I would be grateful.

Thanks for looking............Al

Wow that's an antique programmer and the 16C54 is OTP (one time programmable)
The PICSTART - 16B1 was made for MPLAB 1.3 you may have to dig around to find it. Not sure when Microchip stopped supporting it.
I got started with a PICSTART - 16B1 and the 16C54, I wouldn't recommend it though.
Just download MPLAB 8 and play with the simulator, it's free and it even simulates the 16C54

LooBroom said:
Just download MPLAB 8 and play with the simulator, it's free and it even simulates the 16C54
:D

Who makes MPLAB? I'd like to get familiar with PICs.

BTW, compliments on your site...Nice

Last edited:
MIcrochip (the company that makes the PICs) makes MPLAB. First party software.

I recently came across the install disks that came with my PicStart+. I can zip them up if anyone is interested. One is the stand alone programmer and the other is a very early version of MPLAB (1.21).

Mike.
I'll add the files anyway.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back