Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

hi there

Status
Not open for further replies.

chinsoon

PS2 to USB or USB to PS2

i have a fren, who has a lot of PS2 mouse..

he wanted to make them into USB ones, but at the same time, he wanted so save on cost, so he some how found a way to cut off the PS2 connector and connected the existing cable to a USB connector, without using any converter

what he told me was: just find the pin functions for the PS2 connector and reconnect them to the USB connector

so i tried to search through the net, but i couldnt find any information. So do anyone here know how to do that?

thanks

Last edited:
chinsoon said:
i have a fren, who has a lot of PS2 mouse..

he wanted to make them into USB ones, but at the same time, he wanted so save on cost, so he some how found a way to cut off the PS2 connector and connected the existing cable to a USB connector, without using any converter

what he told me was: just find the pin functions for the PS2 connector and reconnect them to the USB connector

so i tried to search through the net, but i couldnt find any information. So do anyone here know how to do that?

You can't make PS2 mice into serial ones, they are completely different. The 'adaptors' you get only work with specific dual purpose (PS2/USB) mice, and a connection in the lead tells the mouse which format to use. A normal PS2 mouse isn't dual purpose, so can't work via USB.

A year ago I bought a PS2 to USB converter to use with my PS2 keyboard. Windows then complained about "Unrecognised USB device" when the device was plugged in. I opened up the converter and was sad to see that there was totally no 'conversion' circuit. The wires were directy connected from the USB side to the PS2 side - that's how it doesn't work.

So if you want a USB mouse buy one, if you want a serial mouse buy one. Don't bother with these converters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back