Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Hi power light chaser

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hejuco

I am trying to assemble a "light chaser LED" style circuit. But instead of 9volts to power LEDS I need to it to handle at least 50KV/5ma. Any ideas on how to I can keep the exsisting 555 timer w/ 4017IC and instead of LEDS I can susbstitute them with switching type transistors? I am working on an
Asymmetrical Capacitor aka "lifter". I have an idea on a particular configuration. Please feel free to ask any questions. Thanks in advance.

50KV/5ma Adjustable Current Sourced Power Supply DC
50,000 volts will generate an arc at least an inch long in air (think ignition coil spark).

To switch such a voltage with transistors, for example, would require 50, 1000V transistors (very few have a higher rating then that) in series , with carefully designed balancing circuits to equalize the voltage across them and isolated base drive for each transistor. Obviously not a trivial design, but one best left to experts.

I am trying to assemble a "light chaser LED" style circuit. But instead of 9volts to power LEDS I need to it to handle at least 50KV/5ma. Any ideas on how to I can keep the exsisting 555 timer w/ 4017IC and instead of LEDS I can susbstitute them with switching type transistors? I am working on an
Asymmetrical Capacitor aka "lifter". I have an idea on a particular configuration. Please feel free to ask any questions. Thanks in advance.

Insert Bolts into neck. Place LED's in eye sockets and apply 50 KV. :eek:

Seriously though; surely you are mistaken with the usage of 50KV, as in 50,000 volts. At 5 ma. Your looking at 250W of power. That would knock you so hard your ancestors would feel it. Please verify what you mean, as 50KV is just absolutly absurd.
Perhaps you mean 5VDC? Please say that is what you meant.

Last edited:
Info Unlimited Power Supply

High Voltage DC Power Supplies

Copy and paste to address bar and scroll down to

50KV/5ma Adjustable Current Sourced Power Supply

We now offer our low cost 50KV/5ma adjustable current sourced power supply intended for serious experimentation in High power Physics research, EMP, lossless capacitor charging and other related applications.

Two part system consists of CONTROL CONSOLE attached to the VOLTAGE MULTIPLIER via an umbilical cable. Circuit includes an over voltage shutdown with full short circuit protection and a voltage indicating analog meter. 115/220 at 50/60 hz operation. What I need to do is use the above mentioned as a power source in the Mother of All Light Chaser Circuits.

50kv/5ma

Here's what I purchased from Information Unlimited as a power source:
50KV/5ma Adjustable Current Sourced Power Supply
We now offer our low cost 50KV/5ma adjustable current sourced power supply intended for serious experimentation in anti gravity research, EMP, lossless capacitor charging and other related applications.
Two part system consists of CONTROL CONSOLE attached to the VOLTAGE MULTIPLIER via an umbilical cable. Circuit includes an over voltage shutdown with full short circuit protection and a voltage indicating analog meter. 115/220 at 50/60 hz operation. I'm hoping to use as power supply for a lifer experiment.

Don't these guys sell plans, like the atom smasher, and the Particle Beam/Protron Accelerator ? Of course the classic Mind control device. I really love the $200.00 hypnodisk. Hypnosis, Mind Control, Aids, Devices, Books, Plans, Kits

Sorry, I have no advice to give in powering LED's from 50KV as I would not consider giving advice in anything that is so potentially lethal.

Lifter not LED's

Yes, IU does sell a lot of fringe / alt sci products. And I am not trying to light LED's, but to power Asymmetrical Capacitors, also know as lifters. I am using the light chaser as an example. I am trying to power a configuration of eight lifters. But instead of all eight at once I want to power them in sequence. Think of a roulette wheel light where the circle of lights "spins". Same concept, but more power. As for the lethality of the power source, precaution, a buddy / spot system and and a whole lotta common sense have kept me from frying myself for the past couple of years since I started on this project.

So you trying to defy Newton eh? Anti-grav. I had to look up Asymmetrical Capacitors, sounds like some big dipole moment or some such. Did you make the caps yourself?

They are not asymmetrical capacitors, despite the fact that people call them that. They are simply ion generators which are actually capable of liftoff. It's actually pretty neat; I've wanted to build one for a while. No antigravity, no magic--just regular old thrust from a rather unusual source. They do need very high voltages.

Ionocraft - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The ones I've seen video of are made from thin wire, balsa wood, and foil. Before making one, I want to make sure I can build the required supply without killing anybody, though. :)

Torben

That is cool, it sounds like you can get a about 1g lift per watt, so at 50Kv@5ma you can expect about 250g of lift, or about .5 pound.

That is cool, it sounds like you can get a about 1g lift per watt, so at 50Kv@5ma you can expect about 250g of lift, or about .5 pound.

From what I understand, that's about the size of it. At least, payload is small enough that people get excited and post videos when they get one to lift anything besides itself.

I saw a Mythbusters where they tried to get one to operate in a vacuum chamber. No go. But it worked fine in open air (when tethered).

They are also loud. All that foil flappin' in the wind.

Torben

I totally lost track of the part where the LED chaser was driven by 50 kV. ;)

Well, I suppose if you've got several thousand LEDs and want them all in series. . . :)

I'd have no idea how to go about "chasing" eight ion lifters, though.

Torben

When I use to work on HF transmitters, we could hold a fluorescent light bulb near the dummy load and it would light up.

I have two here, an orange tabby and a Maine coon! :D

Your suggestion is workable. 50KV can be attained in a horizontal output transformer from a discarded television set. TV repair shops may be willing to give you as many as you need, including the common transistor 2SC1308K. By interfacing a 555 and 4017 to an H.O.T. driver, you can drive up to ten H.O.T.'s and light up a spark plug tester.

50kv/5ma

Next questions, Is there a potentiometer that I can use to speed or slow down rate of "spin" for said lifters?

Please excuse my techical ignorance, but would I connect the H.O.T. directly to the 555/4017 or would I have to use the transistor you mentioned?

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back