Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Hi Need Help in Design.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmattoce

Hello All. 1st off let me say I have no idea on anything electronic. So if i ask questions that don't make sense to you all, i am sorry in advance.

On to my project I need help with.

I am planing on entering the Tour Divide in a few years and I want to be able to listen to my Ipod charge my phone and run my high power LED light at night. For the enter 30 day ride.

My idea is simple I want to use an old Bike Generator on my bile to provide supplemental power while I ride so that my devices don't use there own power while I am pedaling. I am guessing that this wont provide enough power for all units at the same time so I will be using primarily the ipod during the day and then the light at night.

So what I would like to know is the following.

How would I step up the power so that whatever volts the unit generates can be used to power my ipod so that i am not using the ipod battery.

Also a huge factor in this endeavor is weight. I am trying to keep my entire pack below 25 pounds so this solution can be more then a few ounces in weight.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

M

Last edited:
All of the "power" you need ultimately will use to charge your devices will come from your muscles. There is no way to step up power(unless you bolt a gasoline engine on your bike); you can step up voltage, but that steps down current, and you loose some power in the step-up process.

Last edited:
Do they all have the same "charge voltage"? USB charger or???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back