Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Hi, Is there any IEEE members in this forum?

Status
Not open for further replies.
3v0 said:
I was a member in the mid 70's. Does that count ..
I'll see you a 70's and raise you an early 80's. Like many practicing engineers I concluded long ago that the IEEE was very nearly irrelevant in my career or for my professional development. It exists to provide the academic community a place to publish papers. I was never able to discern any other purpose

Last edited:
Papabravo said:
I'll see you a 70's and raise you an early 80's. Like many practicing engineers I concluded long ago that the IEEE was very nearly irrelevant my career or for my professional development. It exists to provide the academic community a place to publish papers. I was never able to discern any other purpose

Interestingly enough, there's an IEEE talk at my school in a few days entitled "Benefits of IEEE Membership During an Engineer's Entire Career". So we'll see what their arguments are ;)

evandude said:
Interestingly enough, there's an IEEE talk at my school in a few days entitled "Benefits of IEEE Membership During an Engineer's Entire Career". So we'll see what their arguments are ;)
Be sure to tell us what the party line is nowadays. I might even be surprised.

I am a member. As a student, you only pay 30 dollars a year and get a magazine every month that has some good reads in it. Its also a resume padder for a first job.

Last edited:
arod said:
I am a member. As a student, you only pay 30 dollars a month and get a magazine every month that has some good reads in it. Its also a resume padder for a first job.
That's $360 per year!! Even now I couldn't afford that even if the magazine was plated with 6 microinches of gold. A resume padder? I don't think so -- not on my desk it wouldn't be.

$30 per month for student? In USD? That's almost 120 over here after being converted!!! It's almost 15% of my part time job salary... too much for me.

$30 a month!!

Life is based now on monthly fees.. I would opt for a cell phone or cable TV I guess. Not a myname@ieee.org (or com or whatever). And I can buy a lot of magazines for $30 a month.

What happened to the good old days, buy it not lease it? And what are you getting?

arod said:
I am a member. As a student, you only pay 30 dollars a month and get a magazine every month that has some good reads in it. Its also a resume padder for a first job.

If what you said is what you meant, then someone is taking most of your money and having a grand time most likely...

According to the IEEE site, the cost of membership is 161$ for a full year (if you are a US resident). That is the non-student cost. Students pay 30$ a year (which I'll assume you actually meant).

https://www.ieee.org/web/membership/Cost/dues.html

Lapsed member here too. Admittedly I'm half-heartedly thinking about rejoining so I can get access to some of the technical articles. If you ever try to google for something specific and technical, half the links you get back are pointing to papers in the IEEE "digital library" thing. Of course access to it is an extra $100 on top of the membership dues.

Of course I could always drag myself to the engineering library down the street.

evandude said:

As an _active_ IEEE member during my school years and now 6 years into my career, you can trust me when I say IEEE does nothing for career and is utterly useless IMO. They really jumped the shark when they started offering insurance & retirement non-sense.

Optikon said:
As an _active_ IEEE member during my school years and now 6 years into my career, you can trust me when I say IEEE does nothing for career and is utterly useless IMO. They really jumped the shark when they started offering insurance & retirement non-sense.
At least they're encouraging you to think about retirement which you should be doing anyway. You don't want to be unemployed at 55 with nothing put aside. The earlier you start the better off you'll be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back