Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

hi guys im new here

Status
Not open for further replies.

madmanc

hi guys my name is martin .. i come here for some assistance in a project i started and bit off more than i could chew im an auto electrician and decided to put auto fold unfold mirrors on my car... they already do so at the touch of the switch when you press 1st time it pulses to miror for 5 seconds then 2nd press the same etc etc i want to make it so when i set my alarm it folds mirrors and vice verser....

i have attatched a few images to show what i need but i really dont know where to start than i think i need a microcontroller??

if any one can help id qapreciate your knowledge very much so i can complete my project.... and get on with my life hehehehe thx alot in advance

can it be done?

this is whats inside the switch for mirrors and how it works...

**broken link removed**

and what i need to happen

**broken link removed**

thx again i hope some one can help me......

Well a microcontroller would let you do anyhting you want, but there might be a more hardware, "less software" method to do it if you really want to go that way, but it's probably more complicated *if* I kind of understand what you are trying to do, but I can't really figure out what's going on (maybe that's a sign?). If you use a microcontroller, you just wire in all the inputs and have it switch the outputs however you wish. It's probably easier to just do that.

Last edited:
ok great thx theres 6 input wires all negative at rest and 8 outputwires negative at rest. any time the mirror switch is pressed 2 inputs will go positive. on the next press the opposite 2 will go positive. on a press of my key 1 wire will become positive and on the next press the opposite will become positive. only these 2 wires need the pulse to be extended. but both the key wires need 2 outputs each... .

its hard to explain...... is there a micro controller for n0obs that explains how it works etc.... and if i could get the boards conponents sorted then maybe id have a chance at completing it myself

thx for your replay i apreciate it.:D

Hi,
I'm not sure if I understand it properly, but here's my suggestion.

If you just need to extend the output pulse from the alarm system from 1 sec to 5 sec, you should be able to do this using a 555 timer circuit in monostable mode (just search on google for 555 monostable). You'll probably have to alter the resisitor and capacitor for the desired time (5 sec).

If you go this way, you would need 2 circuits, one for the lock > fold signal and one for the unlock > unfold signal. You can 'split' the output from each circuit into 2 (or have each circuit drive 2 transistors, to switch 2 different loads)

Also, if the pulse required by the mirror control unit is more than 200mA, you would need to use a transistor driven by the 555 to switch it (max output of ne555 is 200mA). I assume the pulse is actually driving the motor for the mirrors, so it will almost certainly be more than 200mA. It's probably safer and easier to use transistors to switch the load.

This will be a larger circuit than using a microcontroller circuit, but it doesn't involve any programming, or buyin a programmer.

Hope this helps :)

Last edited:
This may do it if you can get output directly from the alarm unit. It would be as if you pressed the mirror fold switch. If you have to get your signal from the door lock wires, no matter how you do it you may find that the mirrors fold every time you operate the door locks or put the car in gear if it has the autolock feature.
Somehow I suspect that the body control module controls all of that so you won’t get output directly from the alarm unit.

Attachments

• Lock Mirror.jpg
    Lock Mirror.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 113
If you don't like the idea of building a circuit, you could always consider a PLC, but they can be expensive.

ClydeCrashKop said:
This may do it if you can get output directly from the alarm unit. It would be as if you pressed the mirror fold switch. If you have to get your signal from the door lock wires, no matter how you do it you may find that the mirrors fold every time you operate the door locks or put the car in gear if it has the autolock feature.
Somehow I suspect that the body control module controls all of that so you won’t get output directly from the alarm unit.

i tried with relays and diodes but the negative at rest disapears so the motor only recieves a positive feed at any one time....

thx for all your help i really apreciate your time i think ive done it now
barr extending the pulse from 1 to 5 seconds........what is the cheapest and easiest way to do this ? thats if i can have my cake and eat it.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back