Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

HF RF Front End

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikebits

Hi folks, feel free to use this RF Front end for your next radio project. I decided to learn how to use Eagle Cad so what better way than to create a project. I decided to start a receiver project. This is part 1 covering the RF front end. The major components are all from Mini-Circuits. The RF Amp I chose was one that was in my component library, feel free to substitute this part. The design should have a Noise figure around 5dB and OIP of +20 dBm. I will post the schematic file if I can, but for now here is a GIF image. I have also posted this in my blog where I plan to post the sections as I design them. Part 2 will be the First LO which will occur after I figure out how to create a symbol in EC. As the Circuit stands it can be used as a basic frequency translator using external LO.

rffrontend.gif
**broken link removed**

Last edited:
Someone PM'd me asking if the circuit will work with frequencies other than HF, so I decided to answer that question here. The answer is yes, the frequency limiting parts here are the mixer and LO LPF. The mixer is specified to work up to 500 MHz. So to go higher RF scale the LO LPF accordingly or pull the LPF parts and use a 0 ohm resistor which I would not do as this will increase spurious output at the IF. For an online LPF calculator try this website.
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]Chebyshev Pi LC Low Pass Filter Calculator

Not sure how accurate the calculator is but should get you in the ballpark.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back