Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Hey Nigel ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

HiTech

I happened upon to read a bio of this amazing man. I have a videotape of him and I demonstrating "sticky hands", drunken monkey form, and 1 hand takedowns. He performs them with flawless grace. Now me on the otherhand.... !

So, if you see a hand reaching through your monitor in a tiger claw or crane style, that'd be me!

HiTech said:
I happened upon to read a bio of this amazing man. I have a videotape of him and I demonstrating "sticky hands", drunken monkey form, and 1 hand takedowns. He performs them with flawless grace. Now me on the otherhand.... !

So, if you see a hand reaching through your monitor in a tiger claw or crane style, that'd be me!

And if the reaching hand gets broken?, that was me! :D

I'm glad you enjoyed your session with him, do you still train? (I've just come back from teaching a class).

No, I don't train anymore because of life-changing events for me. I admit I'm rusty from not keeping up with it, but one still doesn't forget the basics. If I were to watch the videotape of us both, I'd prolly cry from seeing my conditioning, flexibility, and intensity back then. About the only thing I try to keep up with was weaponry. Comes in handy if a situation were to arise. I always enjoyed the bo staff and the sabre. Next time I'm in Kentucky, I hope to visit John, as he prefers to be called.

Perhapps a PM would've been a for more appropriet way of handling this.

You having said that, perhaps Nigel and I should reach through our monitors and ....

HiTech said:
Comes in handy if a situation were to arise. I always enjoyed the bo staff and the sabre.

'Sabre'? - not a very eastern martial arts type of weapon?, more an old American or European officer weapon.

We use Katana's (samurai swords) quite a lot, good fun (oops, there goes another arm!).

Bo staff's are fun as well, but a little difficult to carry concealed?.

**broken link removed**
Here is the exact practice sabre my kwoon used. They were made of hardwood, however we did have the decorative, real steel deals available to us for exhibitions. Bo staff was very appealing to me since often one can find a broomstick, pipe, or something similar and start whipping it around if in a threatening confrontation.
I remember a time when a buddy and I were playing pool as he unexpectedly, but jokingly starts throwing pool balls at me. I used my 2-piece pool stick as a staff stopping just centimeters from his gonads! Then I unscrewed the two halves and scissored them into his neck! It was all in fun.... that is until he kicked me in the hand, breaking my right thumb! I reacted by hitting him in his Adam's Apple sending him to the floor gasping. From that day on we learned to spar ever so gently and we are still friends!:eek: He breathes just fine these days and my thumb has healed, although the joint snaps alot!

HiTech said:
**broken link removed**
Here is the exact practice sabre my kwoon used. They were made of hardwood, however we did have the decorative, real steel deals available to us for exhibitions.

Looks like the language difference again!, they are called 'broadswords' over here!.

You are correct... when we visit a supply store, we request them as that .... but during class we often said "sabre", prolly because it's short and simple and still gets the meaning across.

HiTech said:
You are correct... when we visit a supply store, we request them as that .... but during class we often said "sabre", prolly because it's short and simple and still gets the meaning across.

How long do the wooden ones last?, we find hardwood bokkens (wooden katana's) don't last very long if you spar with them - for that matter bo staff's soon break as well.

Remember that during class we aren't smacking them against each other. The wooden broadswords are for student safety. Yes they do break at times but some wood glue and the next day, they are back in action. As for the staff it's cheaper to visit a home improvement center than buy the official bo that have a taper at their ends. We just sand the ends round to reduce sharp edges. Still hurts tho if you get over enthusiastic!

HiTech said:
Remember that during class we aren't smacking them against each other. The wooden broadswords are for student safety. Yes they do break at times but some wood glue and the next day, they are back in action. As for the staff it's cheaper to visit a home improvement center than buy the official bo that have a taper at their ends. We just sand the ends round to reduce sharp edges. Still hurts tho if you get over enthusiastic!

We do double katas as well as single, so during double ones both bo staffs and bokkens get bashed against each other :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back