Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Hey Folks, it's 11-12-13 Today!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrAl

Most Helpful Member
Hello,

Only time in the history of the world it will be 11/12/13 on the calendar.

Maybe not that big of a deal, but next sequence isnt until 12/13/14, a Saturday not a Friday.

Only time in the history of the world it will be 11/12/13 on the calendar.
Hold on there MrAl, here in the UK it will not be 11/12/13 until the 11th of December! o_O

JimB

My daughter's birthday was on 11/11/13 yesterday. So it's valid for both UK and US.

Allen

My daughter's birthday was on 11/11/13 yesterday. So it's valid for both UK and US.
No, it's not. In UK or AU formatting, there is no 12/13/14, and likewise, 11/12/13 is in December.

It'll soon be 31/11/13 which is palindromic. Next one is 4/1/14 so not too far off.

Mike.

Hi again,

Oh yes some interesting replies here. I had forgotten that other areas write their date out a little differently then here in the US.

That also means that areas that express their date as dd/mm/yy will have different occurrences where the date appears sequential, but here in the US we will run out of them after 12/13/14 because we use mm/dd/yy which means the last usable month is 12 so there can never be a 13/14/15 for us. If you use dd/mm/yy then you can have 11/12/13 but you can not have 12/13/14. So it looks like this is the last for you until the next 1000 years roll over when you can again have 01/02/03, 02/03/04, etc., unless we use a 100 year rollover (probably more likely) and then you'll have 01/02/03 again in the year 2103.

I had also forgotten that we do this 'rollover' thing when using only 2 digits for the year, but that means that the combinations that we see around this time in history still wont occur again for another 100 years. That's still a long time.

Here in the US it runs out after 12/13/14.

Although i follow the date format mm/dd/yy for most things i do it mainly because that's the accepted standard in the US. If i had my way, i would use the format yyyy/mm/dd because that is numerically the most accurate way to do it. I believe that because not only does it use the full 4 digits for the year, but it also has the most significant part of the date come first (year), next significant comes next (month), followed by the least significant (day). That way when dates are sorted they follow the natural order of regular numbers like 123, 456, etc., where the most significant digit comes first and least significant last and in between numbers are written from left to right in order of decreasing significance.

I actually must use this order (yyyy/mm/dd) when sorting items with dates in programs so there's really no choice there, and that usually means reordering the mm/dd/yy format to yyyy/mm/dd format before i can start the sort, then put everything back to mm/dd/yy after the sort. So you can see what extra work this brings in. If we always used yyyy/mm/dd i would not have to do that reordering and then re-reordering. Too bad we dont.

Hello, Only time in the history of the world it will be 11/12/13 on the calendar.
Not quite true - there was 11/12/1914 11/12/1014 11/12/0013 and then there's the same thing but b.c. era The 11/12/0013 is the real thing, not what we have today in the second millenium being 2013.

Hi Hi,

Yes, that's part of the 100 year rollover i was talking about. The time in history is 11/12/2013, but when we write it we only use two digits for the year most of the time so there is a repeat every 100 years. Still i think 100 years is a long time so most of us will never see 11/12/13 again.

There is also the possibility unfortunately that most of society as we know it today will suffer great losses and that could throw back civilization into a much simpler era. During that time they may decide to start the calendar over again at 01/01/0001.

That of course would be terrible, but with so many KNOWN threats to the planet Earth it's almost a given. They are finally working on diverting asteroid collisions with Earth, but there are still those huge Super Volcano's to think about. If there was some way to use those volcano's heat production for human use for generating energy, we'd get partially free energy plus the benefit of cooling off those volcano's slowly thus helping to prevent pressure build up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back