Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help with with ultrasonic Transducers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chiken

Hi,

I'm doing a project To design and build a follower robot that is supposed to follow a jogger outside and carry their things for them on their run. I have the mechanics down, motors, loading bear, etc., but I'm having trouble with the "following" aspect of this robot. The robot is controlled by an Arduino MEGA 2560 and my plan for the making it follow was to put some kind of emitter on the runner, on like a belt or something, and then mount a receiver on a servo on the front of the robot set to sweep for the emitter and steer the robot based on the angle of the servo when the reciever detects the emitter. Initially I had planned to do this with IR LED's and an IR phototransister, but quickly found out my set up was only getting me about 3 feet of detection with like no cone of view and did not work in sunlight. Now I have a couple of ultrasonic transducers I got form Jameco (http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10001_10001_139492_-1) because I have seen some stuff where ultra sonic detection can be done with a good 10-15 ft range, a decent cone of view, and due to 40kHz operating frequency pretty interference immune.

I Have a good transmitter circuit using a 555 timer that is powered by a 9 volt that will be easy to string down and put into a little project box that could be put on a person (although I have no Idea if the transducer is actually emitting the sound wave since I obviously can't hear it and don't know an good way of seeing if it's working). The trouble I'm having is making a good receiver circuit. I want to do something like this (http://www.ecelab.com/circuit-ultrasonic-r.htm) because I like the digital output form the NE567, but I don't trust the LM741 at 40kHz.

I can make my own circuit using passive BJT amplifiers and a comparator or whatever, but I don't know the order of magnitude of the output of the transducer being used as a receiver. I know the transmitter is being powered by 40kHz 0-5V square wave (from my circuit which I don't know how to post, but trust me that's what it's doing) and I know the receiver is supposed to produce a 40kHz sine wave, but I got nothing on the order of the amplitude.

Also kind of as a foot note, I am a mechanical engineering student, so my electrical knowledge... leaves a little to be desired.

I guess I never asked any question in any of this, so here goes:

Do you this this emitter-receiver mechanism will work for this robot?
Is there any way to test if an ultrasonic transmitter is actually transmitting an ultrasonic wave or do you just kind of have to trust the oscilloscope?
What is the order of magnitude of the amplitude of the sine wave produced by an ultrasonic transducer being used as a receiver and how much does this need to be amplified (how much gain) to function with an NE567 tone decoder?
Can the LM741 op amps really hack it at 40 kHz? Would LM386 because acceptable substitutes if the ecelab.com circuit is good except for the LM741?

How are you going to address other joggers, dogs, cars, bicycles, etc. that might get in the way of the robot?

Your plan may be able to locate and go to the jogger, but how do you make it maintain distance? Will the jogger's device be a transponder to receive and transmit so the robot can also estimate distance? Then, what about obstructions and/or reflections?

Have you considered a voice controlled robot that the jogger will follow, rather than have the robot follow the jogger? Then the jogger can tell the robot which way to turn and what speed to maintain. The robot could actually follow the jogger with voice commands, but I think that would be harder for the jogger to do.

Finally, "robot jacking" might be a problem in many areas. Having the jogger follow rather than lead the robot might be a deterrent to that.

John

Last edited:
The 741 opamp is 44 or 45 years old. Its datasheet shows that its output has trouble above 9kHz.
Its maximum voltage gain at 40kHz is only about 20 and its maximum output is only about plus and minus 3.5V.

Many better opamps work perfectly to 100kHz.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back