Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help with wiring a motor and switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

zoomed

Hi, I just found this forum and am new here, but this definitely looks like the right place to get help. Thanks in advance for helping!

I am trying to wire a motor and control it with a lighted switch. The motor and switch are 120 V, and the switch apparently has a neon light. The data sheet for the switch is attached, and it is the lighted, 120 volt version with three terminals, numbered 1, 2, and 3 on the body of the switch. I want to wire the switch so that the light comes on when the motor is on, but from the data sheet I can't determine which wires go where.

The power cord I am using is 14 gauge with one white, one black, and one green wire. The motor has the same gauge wire and the same colors.

I am not very good with circuit diagrams and need help with identifying how to wire all three parts together (motor, switch, power cord), including where each color wire connects to the respective parts. I attached a simple sketch showing each part. I'm hoping you can help me figure this out.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Cherry Waterproof Switch.pdf
    177.9 KB · Views: 267
  • Diagram.pdf
    392.5 KB · Views: 248
If the switch is a KRE2ALA2RBB, then this will work. Blk is 120Vac, Wht is Neutral, and Grn is safety ground.

Attachments

• SwitchWiring.pdf
    56.5 KB · Views: 135
Mike, that's exactly what I needed, thank you!

These parts are going to be mounted onto a metal frame. With the ground wires connected to each other as shown, do I need to split it off and ground to the frame as well?

These parts are going to be mounted onto a metal frame. With the ground wires connected to each other as shown, do I need to split it off and ground to the frame as well?
Yes ....

If I want to run two motors independently, each with their own switch, do I just split the power coming from the power cord into two legs and duplicate the wiring for a single motor, or should they be wired differently? I would only be using one power cord.

Yes. Power Cord Blk goes to term 1 of both switches; Power Cord Wht goes to terminal 3 of both switches.

One other comment. In normal house wiring with a metal switchplate and a metal box, you would:

1. Ground the metal portion of the switch separately to a "pigtail"
2. Ground the metal box separately to a "pigtail"
3. connect these "pigtails" to the ground wire.

Your not supposed to rely on the screws from the box to the switch to ground the switch and outlet cover.

There are exceptions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back