Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help with wires

Status
Not open for further replies.

w33tbix

Im currently busy with repairing an office paper shredder, but i ran into a problem. The Reason for me doing the repair job was simple in the beginning. I opened it up to clean a jam and one of the wires connected to the moter came lose.

Since then the other one also came. There are only two: black and red. Now my Problem is that n cant get the circuit to work again. On the ends of the black and red wires there is a hardened silikon-like tip with a copper wire in the core but also some copper wire wrapped around this hardened end.

Am i correct in assuming the the copper coil cannot be used to complete the circuit and that I need to use the copper wire in the core? And if that assumption is correct can I cut of that hardened tip and complete the circuit without it?

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanx.

Can you take a clear picture of it? I'm having a hard time visualizing what you're trying to explain except to think that it sounds like it's a pair of female spade connectors, in which case you just push them back on again.

Torben

I imagined the wire had burnt and that the cable is insulated with silicone rubber which hardens to a silica substance when heated too much.

Yes a picture would be helpful.

Photo's

I have attached two photo's to assist you.

The picture labeled edited as some areas marked in case the picture labelled 'wires' is not clear enough.

Sector A: The copper wire is soldered onto the metal leg of the unknown copper coiled silicone component.

Sector B: The unidentified component and reason for my dilemma.

Sector C: The small nub on the end is a metal/copper core of the unidentified component.

Hope this helps!

Attachments

• wires..JPG
    wires..JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 317
  • edited..JPG
    edited..JPG
    205.5 KB · Views: 329
The picture is of a RF Supression choke, I have been trying to locate one but unfortunately it appears that they are not available as a seperate item, you may have to contact the manufacturer for a direct replacement. To prove the shredder does work you can bypass the choke. It is unadvisable to run the shredder continually with out it because you will generate RF interference.
This will cause havoc with office PCs and other electronic devices.

Agreed it's a choke.

You can probably replace it with an RF choke, about 10µH.

You'll have to measure the current so you know what rating you require which can be done by shorting the choke with a DVM set to current.

Thanks guys,

I decided to cut out the busted choke as the shredder wont be near any office electronics.

All the help is deeply appreciated!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back