Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help with Wireless Transmitter/Receiver for PC to TV

Status
Not open for further replies.

EchoAngel911

Hello guys,

I need to build everything. I would like to take the s video and the two audio cables (red and white) and transmit them. I would like to receive them on the other end and give back the s video and two audio cables back. I would like to link PC to TV or vice versa.

Any schematics/circuits would be helpful. In addition I want a low BER. My budget would be about 500 dollars.

Thanks for any advice/help.

EchoAngel911 said:
Hello guys,

I need to build everything. I would like to take the s video and the two audio cables (red and white) and transmit them. I would like to receive them on the other end and give back the s video and two audio cables back. I would like to link PC to TV or vice versa.

Any schematics/circuits would be helpful. In addition I want a low BER. My budget would be about 500 dollars.

You don't have your location filled in, so we've no idea where you might be, nor what TV system you might be using?. There are also probably licensing conditions surrounding such a project, which again are country dependent.

But it's certainly NOT a trivial project, you've got to transmit four seperate signals, luma, chroma, and two audio channels.

Generally commercial units don't transmit S-Video, not even the professional broadcasters do! - they only transmit composite video.

Composite video senders are freely (and cheaply!) available, you would be better off using one of those.

Your description implies composite video; S-video would
include the audio in its connector. For full duplex, you
would need two TX/RX pairs on different frequencies,
far enough apart to preclude interference.
With a $500 budget, you could use 802.11g and
video adaptors for Ethernet, all readily available.
<als>

Update:

I want to transmit the s video + the audio L and R. The other end should receive back the s video + the audio L and R.

I know the S video has mainly the critical Y and C signal. In total, I would have to transmit 4 unique signals. As such I was thinking of OFDM to allow the broadcast of multiple signals.

As such, I guess
I would convert all 4 signals into 4 digital output,
send it into a IFFT block,
parallel to serial
guard interval insertion

transmit the OFDM signal
receive the OFDM signal

guard interval removal
serial to parallel
FFT the data
then digital back to analog

I just like to get exactly/most of the data back (that's why i'm using OFDM currently). This device would ideally be used for transmitting from tv to pc (with tv tuner card). I know I should not even try to design everything from scratch. I need to process everything like real time + fast.

I do not know the baud rate for s video. Can you guys recommend any modules/pieces I should get to satisfy my requirements?

I can spend at least 500 - 1000. How would i use 802.11g? I'm guessing it's only for the computer side only

EchoAngel911 said:
I do not know the baud rate for s video. Can you guys recommend any modules/pieces I should get to satisfy my requirements?

There is no 'baud rate' because it's an analogue signal, if you convert it to digital the baud rate will depend on the bandwidth you require?.

Assuming 5MHz bandwidth for the luma channel, and 8 bit sampling, you're looking at 50 million bits per second! - just for the data with start and stop bits, none of the extra data used by the protocols!. The chroma channel is far easier, only about 0.5MHz bandwidth, and the audio probably 15-20KHz each.

This is why MPEG encoding is used for digital video signals!.

Perhaps you can just use a TV with an S-video input and use the computer to transmit the video, and use the line-out jack on yourcomputer and attach an RCA adapter to it, so you can have S-video video and RCA audio to your TV from the computer.

If you use XP (you should, as you live in the 21st century as of now) you can possibly configure the TV as a second moniter or use it a dual moniter display that you can work on different thing on each screen, given your computer or video card can handle it.

Hopefully this will answer your question and I haven't made a complete fool out of myself for misunderstanding your problem.
oh, you can get Phono to RCA adapters at Radioshack if needed.

Hi Megamox,
The Poptronix simple TV transmitter is for composite video, not S-video. Its audio is mono without pre-emphasis so will sound something like an AM radio.

Even if you managed to transmit all 4 signals for SVideo, I would imagine the recombining and time base syncronization would be no small feat either.

This is definitely not a simple project.

audioguru said:
Yeah Zevon,
That's why TV stations don't transmit S-video.

Actually it's mostly for bandwidth reasons!, the long defunct UK satellite broadcaster BSB used a format called D-MAC, which time multiplexed the luma and chroma signals - this gave the seperate signals required for S-Video.

Their live studio broadcasts were the best quality broadcast TV pictures I've ever seen, far, far better than the digital systems now in use!.

Presumably the hi-definition systems will be better still?, my boss went to a pre-release demonstration a few weeks ago - with pictures provided from a broadcast hi-def VCR - complete with a guard, who wasn't allowed to leave it alone!. Apparently it was a VERY! expensive machine, and the tape inside was the only existing copy of the football match it was playing!.

Nigel Goodwin said:
audioguru said:
Yeah Zevon,
That's why TV stations don't transmit S-video.

Actually it's mostly for bandwidth reasons!

True, the spread would be enormous.

Speaking of picture quality, people living in urban centres, with access to several local transmitters, are often amazed at the picture quality of "off-air" signals using rabbit ears, compared to the cable companies compressed and limited feed.

A good example is the local public broadcasters airing of hockey games. They use the best equipment ( of course they do, taxpayers can afford it ) and the picture is crystal clear. Watch the same channel on cable TV and it looks like second generation tape recordings.

Hi Zevon,
My cable is all-digital now, like satellite TV. My cable box is also digital and has a hard drive in it for perfect recordings. When there isn't too much motion or if standards converters aren't used, the picture and sound are better than perfect because my TV gets it with S-video and not with its noisy and narrow-bandwidth tuner. Many of the shows are cable-only and look and sound much better than perfect, like a DVD! Ordinary off-air TV sucks, the bandwidth of my Sony TV's video amp is like a monitor. The sound is wideband, dynamic and distortion-free like a CD player, which is also like the inside of my digital cable box.

This new stuff is also convenient. It receives better than perfect picture and sound from stations 5000km away, that I use for time-shifting programs that I forgot to watch or record, since they are 3 time-zones later than me. I'm watching an important show and someone comes to the door. I just hit "record" and resume "play" where it was left off, while it continues recording. No more fights with my wifey over which program to record, it records 2 shows at the same time and we can play back a 3rd. Its hard drive holds 50 hours.

The new digital high definition looks amazing up close on a plazma TV. Mine looks the same where I sit, even with my new glasses. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back