Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

help with voltage regulator heatsink calculation

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can't quite get there with that package. You can pretty much ingnor the ground current becaue it is only 120 ua. But to drop 4 volts at .8 amps is 3.2 watts. With no heatsink the temperature rise is 136C/Watt which is way to hot. Even with 1 inch of copper area on the PCB for a heatsink it is still 66C/Watt or 211 C. Still way to much. If you really need the full .8 amps you probably want the TO220 package and a heat sink of 10 C / Watt.

You can pretty much ingnor the ground current becaue it is only 120 ua. But to drop 4 volts at .8 amps is 3.2 watts. With no heatsink the temperature rise is 136C/Watt which is way to hot. Even with 1 inch of copper area on the PCB for a heatsink it is still 66C/Watt or 211 C. Still way to much. If you really need the full .8 amps you probably want the TO220 package and a heat sink of 10 C / Watt.
Actually, the ground current spec is max of about 10 mA. But I agree, you need the TO-220 for power ov more than 3W,

If you solder down a TO-220 with about one square inch of copper (or more), you should get a theta of around 30 -35 C/W which should be OK.

Last edited:
Thank you very much for your reply! so the ground current, is the adjustment current... makes sense..
But i do not seem to understand how you calculated those values..
as i understand the power dissipation Pd is approximately 3.2W, the Tj(max) is 125C, and I set the Ta(max) to 50C. thereby Tr(max) = 75C

Øja = Tr(max)/Pd
= 75C / 3.2W
= 23,4 C/W

this value is lower than the 136 C/W than the max specified for the SOT-223 package..
Am I doing something wrong?

Thank you very much for your reply! so the ground current, is the adjustment current... makes sense..
But i do not seem to understand how you calculated those values..
as i understand the power dissipation Pd is approximately 3.2W, the Tj(max) is 125C, and I set the Ta(max) to 50C. thereby Tr(max) = 75C

Øja = Tr(max)/Pd
= 75C / 3.2W
= 23,4 C/W

this value is lower than the 136 C/W than the max specified for the SOT-223 package..
Am I doing something wrong?
Yes. You are trying to use a SOT-223 in an application where it can not possibly handle the power. You must use either the TO-220 or the TO-263 (which is a TO-220 with the tab snipped off). Solder either of these to the PCB with at least 1 square inch of copper and it will work. Use a SOT-223, and it can not possibly work.

The goal is to keep the temperature well below 125C at the junction. With your set up the temperature would be 3.2 X 136 or 435C plus lets say 25C ambient or 460C. To hot. Table 1 shows the temperature rise with 1 sq. in of copper on the same package. 66C/watt. 66X3.2 = 211C + 25 for ambient = 236C. Still to hot.
If you use the TO-220 package you can use a better heatsink that the copper on the board. 10 degree C per watt heatsinks are fairly small. So in that case you get 3.2X10 or 32C + 25C ambient for about 57C. It will be a bit hotter but well below the 125C junction temperature.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back