Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

help with this simple circuit board

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevinkhan

I have an American DJ Dual Gem Led disco light which is faulty.
When i power on the unit all the led lights turn on and dont change or go to the beat of the music.

Initially the voltage regulator broke off so i replaced this with a new one.

Attached is a circuit diagram for an American DJ Dual Gem Led disco light and also a picture of the printed circuit board front and back.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
20150331_082846(resized).jpg
20150331_082901(resized).jpg

Attachments

• Dual Gem Led Page 2.pdf
    50.2 KB · Views: 187
  • Dual Gem LED.pdf
    99.7 KB · Views: 141
  • E_dual-gem-led.pdf
    580.2 KB · Views: 178
generally, you would look at the +5 voltage and measure the ripple of the power supply. the problem is the processor will die if the voltage goes over 6 V or so. On PDF page 235 is the Absolute max ratings: [url]http://www.atmel.com/Images/Atmel-2486-8-bit-AVR-microcontroller-ATmega8_L_datasheet.pdf#page=235[/URL]

I'd use a scope to check the crystal activity and i's look at the I2C bus for activity as well.

The one thing, you might be able to check is (MIC) with respect to Vcc. See if there is any AC sort of voltage there with a signal.

Look at the voltage between pin 2 and 3 of U4A. It should be "close" to zero.

Last edited:
If using or making measurements on this board, be aware it provides no mains isolation so is potentially (no pun intended) LETHAL.
There is a component labelled 'Re 10k' apparently missing from next to the heatsink and fat cap C6.
Diodes D5 and D8 have some crud at their ends. Have you checked them (also D6, D7)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back