Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

help with tesla coil topload

Status
Not open for further replies.
what about drilling a small hole in the threads of the bolt and solder the wire to that. this way the wire doesnt go inside anything

That would be ideal, as long as screwing your topload on doesn't cut the wire. Make sure you solder the wire as low on the bolt as possible, so that the torroid can screw on fully.

should i cover the head of the bolt on the inside of the pvc cap with something to insulate it? such as epoxy or silicone caulk?

It couldn't hurt. What kind of bolt is it? Does it have a round head or what? Either way, that would be a good idea, yes.

it is a brass screw. it has a round head like a carrage bolt, with a slot for flathead screwdriver.

Ok, at the very least, fill in the slot for the screwdriver. Covering the entire thing with epoxy is probably even better.

if you look at the pic, i have a hole on top and bottom of my topload. i am welding a nut to one side to screw onto the top of the coil. that leaves me with a hole on the top. just wondering what the best way to fill it would be? i could use aluminum tape, or i could weld it shut. if i weld it, i can smooth the outside, but will sharp edges on the inside of it cause internal losses? please LMK ty

Attachments

• 2011-11-15 10.31.18.jpg
    2011-11-15 10.31.18.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 486
if you look at the pic, i have a hole on top and bottom of my topload. i am welding a nut to one side to screw onto the top of the coil. that leaves me with a hole on the top. just wondering what the best way to fill it would be? i could use aluminum tape, or i could weld it shut. if i weld it, i can smooth the outside, but will sharp edges on the inside of it cause internal losses? please LMK ty

Sharp edges on the inside shouldn't be a problem. The charges accumulate around the outside of the topload, so it's not likely that there would be internal corona leakage. Welding it would be ideal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back