Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help with SwitcherCAD III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, I was just wwondering; is there an easy way to save/convert my circuits to a picture format (gif, jpg, whatever)? It just seems a bit anoying trying to upload them to anywhere else.

thanks a lot- mike

ehhh, Ok. Its pretty straightforward. I want to, instead of having to save my switcher CAD files in their normal format, I want to be able to save them as a GIF (or similar) file, so I can share them easily. I want to know if there is a 'convert to image' button or saving as picture kind of feature.

mike11298 said:
ehhh, Ok. Its pretty straightforward. I want to, instead of having to save my switcher CAD files in their normal format, I want to be able to save them as a GIF (or similar) file, so I can share them easily. I want to know if there is a 'convert to image' button or saving as picture kind of feature.

You can export to Windows Meta File format from the Tools menu using "Write to a .wmf file". That's a vector format, although you can convert it to a raster image using other utilities.

Or, assuming you're running Windows (or many flavours of Linux), you can just press the Print Screen key, open your favourite image editor, and paste (Print Screen copies your screen to the clipboard as a raster image in Windows).

Hope that helps. Maybe somebody who's used it longer knows something that can output to raster in just one step?

Torben

Go to tools and click on copy to clipboard as bitmap, then paste it into your favourite bitmap editing program.

Hero999 said:
Go to tools and click on copy to clipboard as bitmap, then paste it into your favourite bitmap editing program.

Hey, check it out. I missed that one since it's greyed out on my SC3--I imagine because I'm running it under Wine on Linux.

Torben

I haven't used WINE for ages. I'm surprised they haven't implemented some form of clipboard emulation though.

With virtualization software easily available I'm surprised anyone uses wine.

Sceadwian said:
The problem is vitalisation software requires very powerful hardware and a Windows license.

Why spend all the extra mony on a dual core 3.2GHz machine with 2GB of RAM and a Windows licence when a single core 1.8GHz machine with only 256MB of RAM will be more than adequate?

I have a 1.7ghz processor with 512megs of ram and I've run both linux on windows and windows on linux at various points for experimentation using VMware's softare, the real time clock support is horrible but everything runs fine if a bit slower (mostly because of the video) it's still useable. Linux was run under XP and 98 was run under Linux. Keep in mind I think if you want to use wine you still need a windows license because the core DLL's that it uses are proprietary to microsoft, and require a valid license to use legally?

Hero999 said:
The problem is vitalisation software requires very powerful hardware and a Windows license.

Why spend all the extra mony on a dual core 3.2GHz machine with 2GB of RAM and a Windows licence when a single core 1.8GHz machine with only 256MB of RAM will be more than adequate?

(note--I've edited out my response here since I obviously totally failed to read Hero999's message properly. argh, my bad, and sorry!)

Torbe

Last edited:
Sceadwian said:
Keep in mind I think if you want to use wine you still need a windows license because the core DLL's that it uses are proprietary to microsoft, and require a valid license to use legally?

Nope. It's a free clean-room implementation. No license encumbrance. (You do have the option to use Windows DLLs, but you don't have to.)

Check out http://www.winehq.com/ for way, way more info.

No, I'm in no way affiliated with wine, nor do I think it's a good solution for everything. But the license is not a good reason not to use it.

Torben

Sceadwian said:

Don't need it for what I do. Wine is--for the stuff I use it for--the solution which fits my requirements the best. Less resource-intensive
than VMs. I don't need to buy a Windows license. And so on. VMs are great for certain tasks, not all.

Torben

Last edited:
Hero999 said:
I haven't used WINE for ages. I'm surprised they haven't implemented some form of clipboard emulation though.

They have. Usually the clipboard works fine for me. Not sure what's up with this menu item--maybe the clipboard's not ready for the format, or something. Not too worried about it, although perhaps one day I'll research a fix.

Torben

Torben, you can quote several people in one reply, you don't need a separate post of each quote.

Sceadwian said:
Keep in mind I think if you want to use wine you still need a windows license because the core DLL's that it uses are proprietary to microsoft, and require a valid license to use legally?
That's a common myth, also note that LTSpice is designed with WINE in mind.

Hero999 said:
Torben, you can quote several people in one reply, you don't need a separate post of each quote.

Yes, I know. But thanks for the hint anyway.

Torben

Last edited:
Hm--looks like it is probably something known to the LTSpice folks. LTSpice detects wine and alters its behaviour to accomodate; using -nowine allows you to skip this detection. Anyway, using -nowine allows the "Copy bitmap to clipboard" menu item to be active, but it doesn't appear to do anything (under Linux, anyway).

Anyway, the LTSpice team has done a great job, and spending the time they have making it work well under wine is wonderful of them. It's a feature I don't really miss.

Torben

I'm an ltspice folk =) Didn't know it was built with wine in mind.

Sceadwian said:
I'm an ltspice folk =) Didn't know it was built with wine in mind.

It's in the user's guide PDF, in the FAQ section.

Torben

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back