Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

help with sound amplifier for horn tweeters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inferno

hello there...
i m trying to find a good amplifier that can amplifiy signal going out from a cd-player so i can plug 2 big horn twiters...
sorry for my bad english ... but my idea is to make a bird call device using the cd player , the amplifier , and the twiters... i need the amplifier to give good sound on high frequency levels..
if someone can help plz reply soon :D

Inferno said:
hello there...
i m trying to find a good amplifier that can amplifiy signal going out from a cd-player so i can plug 2 big horn twiters...
sorry for my bad english ... but my idea is to make a bird call device using the cd player , the amplifier , and the twiters... i need the amplifier to give good sound on high frequency levels..
if someone can help plz reply soon :D

Any modern transistor amplifier would be fine, just choose one which provides enough power!. However, bear in mind that tweeters usually only have low power ratings, so a tweeter used in a 100W system might only be rated at 10W.

For your application there won't be much low frequency content, so you need to be careful you don't overload the tweeter - you should also feed it through the correct crossover, to prevent any low frequencies getting through, which will very quickly destroy it.

hey 10x for ur reply...
i appreciate ur informations .. but i m askin u plz if u can give me a good diagram or circuit for this amplifier .. with the kind of horn tweeters i should use ( i mean ..ohm....watts... voltage...) and the propreties for the amplifer.. if that is possible plz

tweeter amp

hi,

do you have any idea at what frequency is your bird call sound? as what nigel has said you use a cross over to ensure that only high frequency goes into the tweeter. another way is use a active high pass filter.

isn't it that bird sounds are not really that loud. do you really need it to be loud? i think a 10w amp will do and driving a 8 - 10w tweeter. or even use a full range speaker. :lol:

hey
10x again for ur reply ...
well i need it to be loud .. coz it the sound range should be about 4 or 5 km .. but birds have high frequency sound that could go this far wihout the need for a high power ... birds have the frequency from 3000 to 12000
what i need the most is to have a pure sound and minimum level of noise .... and the most important is the sensitivity of the amp coz it will get the signal from the cd player ( low level signal ) ... if any one could help plz just give me a full name so i can search the internet for a diagram or a circiut ...

Inferno said:
well i need it to be loud .. coz it the sound range should be about 4 or 5 km .. but birds have high frequency sound that could go this far wihout the need for a high power ... birds have the frequency from 3000 to 12000
what i need the most is to have a pure sound and minimum level of noise .... and the most important is the sensitivity of the amp coz it will get the signal from the cd player ( low level signal ) ... if any one could help plz just give me a full name so i can search the internet for a diagram or a circiut ...

As I said before, pretty well any transistor amplifier will do, your requirements are very low! - a CD player puts out a line level signal, which is considered a pretty high level, you could feed it directly into many power amplifiers, and with only a very modest amount of gain into any power amplifier.

However, 5km is a huge range to try and project audio, I've no idea if low powers through horn loaded speakers would reach as far - obviously, a lot depends on the hearing sensistivity of the birds.

For some amplifier designs, try **broken link removed**.

horn tweeters

hi,

i think birds have a very sensitive ears coz they can hear their fellow birds for quite a distance like 5sq kilometers range. maybe am wrong. but i still say a 10 to 20w projecting sounds at 3kz to 13khz will go a long way. :roll:

What about considering air's temperature and humidity?
What about trees, grass and just plain old dirt?

Haven't you heard an amplified rock "concert" from a distance? Boom, boom. No high frequencies.
Stadium sound systems adjust their high frequencies due to differing attenuation caused by air's temperature and humidity, and field's covering, for a "short" distance of only about 100m. They use hundreds of Watts for each expensive and efficient horn tweeter. 10W to 20W into your cheaper horn tweeter certainly won't go 50 times farther.
The attenuation for distance (plus additional attenuation for temperature, humidity and trees etc.) is -6dB for every doubling of distance, because the sound spreads-out and covers a wider area. So a typical horn speaker that produces 112dB/W at 1m with 3KHz will produce 124dB! with 16W at 1m. At 4Km, the distance will attenuate that to 52dB. But the 52dB is only for the occasional peaks, the average sound pressure will be only about 42dB. A very low sound level for us humans. Add additional attenuation for temperature, humidity and trees etc. and your birds will hear nuthin.

How are those birds going to tell you that they can hear your "bird-calls"?
Come runnin'?
Good luck. It would be much more practical to send very low frequencies through water to whales.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back