Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help with solar tracker circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moneer81

Hello,

Excuse my ignorance, but I just have a few simple questions about this circuit. I got it from a British book so some of the symbols are throwing me off...

1. First off, the resistors are supposed to be labeled 75ohm, 33ohm, etc. instead of 75R, 33R, right?

2. The elements labeled 1, 2 and 3 are light-dependent resistors. What about the relay, is it an SPST relay? If the author instructed to use a 9V relay, would a 12V relay work too?

I'll have some more questions a little later...Thanks for taking the time.

Attachments

• circuit.JPG
    circuit.JPG
    20.4 KB · Views: 473
Last edited:
Excuse my ignorance, but I just have a few simple questions about this circuit. I got it from a British book so some of the symbols are throwing me off...

You know the Brits, always gotta change things. 220AC instead of 120. Drive on the wrong side of the road. Always ending a statement with a question "You must be daft eh"?

Just kidding to all you nice brits out there. Long live the metric system:)

1. First off, the resistors are supposed to be labeled 75ohm, 33ohm, etc. instead of 75R, 33R, right?

I believe you are correct here.

2. The elements labeled 1, 2 and 3 are light-dependent resistors. What about the relay, is it an SPST relay? If the author instructed to use a 9V relay, would a 12V relay work too?

Should work, but if your using a battery, it will not be 9v for long which might give trouble...

Hello,
As Mike says, Yes.

Its single pole single throw relay

You may have to reduce the 33R in the darlington emitter.

I'll have some more questions a little later...Thanks for taking the time.

hi,
How are the 3 LDR's laid out on the panel.?

Mike.
Its 240Vrms 50Hz.:p

Where did you hear that expression....You must be daft eh"?

Last edited:
Where did you hear that expression....You must be daft eh"?

Umm TV :eek: I know, bad example. Never been to England except for heathrow when I went on my Europe cruise. but it is on my list :)

Hello,

I doubt that's from a British book, it looks more Dutch that British, we don't use 'R' for ohms, the Dutch do - it's not an Elektor book is it? (they are Dutch - and the only place I ever see 'R').

What about the relay, is it an SPST relay? If the author instructed to use a 9V relay, would a 12V relay work too?
A 12V relay will work fine in place of a 9V one since the supply voltage is 12V (You may need to short the 33R resistor on the emitter of the TIP120). I do question how this circuit is supposed to work at all. There seems to be no provision to reverse the direction of the motor. So at sunset, the panel will be stuck pointing to the west with no way to point east the next morning.

Last edited:
I doubt that's from a British book, it looks more Dutch that British, we don't use 'R' for ohms, the Dutch do - it's not an Elektor book is it? (they are Dutch - and the only place I ever see 'R').

I thaught R was the SI symbol for Ohms ? ( I can't find my SI standards ref. book) Like 5R6, 3R3 . Also K, M & G for the magnitudes - 10K, 5M6
it is also used as the decimal point so 33R should be a valid way of writing & reading 33 Ohms.

It might be the SI unit, but you don't usually see it used in UK publications, fair enough you see it as 6R8 for 6.8Ω but for 68Ω it would be just 68, not 68R.

It might be the SI unit, but you don't usually see it used in UK publications, fair enough you see it as 6R8 for 6.8Ω but for 68Ω it would be just 68, not 68R.

hi,
I wouldn't recommend just using the numeric value without some suffix.
Use R or Ω
I find the R is easier, as it on my keyboard.

Just 68 on its own could mean anything, perhaps 68 elephants or 68 'lords a leaping'.:p

Last edited:
hi,
I wouldn't recommend just using the numeric value without some suffix.

But that's how it's normally done - just 68 next to the symbol of a resistor, labelled R1, is pretty conclusive really - if it was a drawing of an elephant, labelled E1, it may perhaps be a source of confusion? :D

But that's how it's normally done - just 68 next to the symbol of a resistor, labelled R1, is pretty conclusive really - if it was a drawing of an elephant, labelled E1, it may perhaps be a source of confusion? :D

hi,
I follow what you say, something like this for example.:rolleyes:

Attachments

• pix1.gif
    pix1.gif
    71.8 KB · Views: 198
Your order would come in short as you left Ref designators off of two of your pachyderms :) Floating elephants.

Your order would come in short as you left Ref designators off of two of your pachyderms :) Floating elephants.

As only half of each of those are visible, I suppose they should be 0E5's to be more precise...:p:p

hi,
I follow what you say, something like this for example.:rolleyes:

I never can remember:

When two elephants are in parallel, do you add and then divide, or multiply and then divide by the addition?:p

Now that is funny :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back